• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contrabassoon Range?

Contrabassoon Range?

I also posted this in General Discussion under Today's Stupid Question, but since no one answered it there thought I'd try again here in case the knowledgeable missed it. Overture SE claims a ctrbsn goes up to F3; Dolmetsch.com says it actually goes up to A#3. But the samples in GPO stop at D3. Is something missing, or were there just no useable samples above D3? I need an F3 so I suppose I could double a bassoon on it as a workaround but it still seems oddly limited.

Re: Contrabassoon Range?

Tom posted before about how to extend the range of the instruments, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do that. Search the forum, it's in here somewhere.

Nevermind unless you have the full version of Kontak. From there you can stretch it all the way to C8 if you like. You'd do that in the mapping editor I believe, but I'd back it up first. You can also pitch bend it up a whole step.

Rimsky-Korsakov says a double bassoon goes to written G above middle C, or even higher as "unusual"; says above written D is 'little used'. You wouldn't typically write up there for a contrabassoon; it's like writing low piccolo notes, or high alto flute notes. But I agree it's annoying to find a set of samples giving out when you don't care about realism, just about putting in the notes as written! You know, hopefully, that real contrabassoons are very expensive and pretty rare outside music schools and professional orchestras?

Contrabassoon 1 goes to the D but contrabassoon 2's range extends to the G# above that. Use contrabassoon 2 in those (usually rare) situations when you need the greater range. It's always best to check the alternate instruments when they are present. You may find what you need since they are often different from one another (for many developmental reasons).

Two different instruments played by two different people in different places at different times. Because of this they have contrasting tone qualities. Use the one that sounds best for your purposes.

Excellent, thanks for the reply Tom! I had no idea the ranges might be different for different versions of the same instrument. Will wonders never cease! My piece will work now, hoo-rah!

Go Back to forum