• Register
  • Help

Topic: Blank CD's for music production, and making labels?

Share/Bookmark

Blank CD's for music production, and making labels?

Does anyone know of a good CD to use for burning my first CD's to be sold? I Don't want to have to use something that has an ugly white "Memorex" label on it, and would like to have some sort of design on it. Any suggestions at all?

Re: Blank CD's for music production, and making labels?

It's not so expensive to buy CD-Rs with customized
    printing on them. We have done so for our software-
    company, as we do have small amounts of shipments.

This looks much more professionell than using label-
    printers and so on...

Tobias

You can get label kits - the labels are totally blank, and the kit comes with software to assist with the layout of the design and for printing, and a device to help apply the labels to the CD-Rs.

Some home printers can print on CD-Rs, too. (you can get pre-labelled CD-Rs with no marking at all for this). I have the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 - the European version of this printer (the 2100) is able to do this, but it's a very good photographic quality printer - not sure what other makes/models can do this but I presume there would be others. The 2200 (U.S version) doesn't have the CD-R tray but I've read that it's possible to fashion a CD-R holder to give it that capability.

Greg.

hv

You might want to check out Disc Makers web site. Their prices aren't rock bottom but they're not bad and they do cover a lot of bases. They sell a variety of blanks and supplies. They can also print your blanks for you or sell you everything you need to do automated short runs yourself. If you go the do-it-all-yourself route, they can also job duplication work out to you to help finance the equipment.

As far a particular brands of CD, the widely acclaimed old reliables are made by Taiyo Yuden. But these days I think they've all gotten better and now folks look more to the recording-side formulation color... they seem to like recording sides that are more silver-colored than greenish or blueish. They might argue a lot about reflectivity and chemistry, but they look more like manufactured. Mitsiu's seem pretty popular. You might check out a supplier like CD Dimensions. I have a sense that the majority of branded CDs are sourced these days from either Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden.

Howard

Buying customized cds is by far the best choice. They do look more professional, although they are more expensive than regular cds.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalCharities
    Does anyone know of a good CD to use for burning my first CD's to be sold?
    By the way, if it is going to be sold, don't forget about ISRC. If this is your first cd, don't forget to put ISRC on your recordings so that you can collect royalties for you compositions in a later time. Most of the companies that make printed cds can do this for you, but you will have to provide them the ISRC code frist.

Good luck!

Go Back to forum