• Register
  • Help

Topic: Olympic games= corporate vomit...

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

Olympic games= corporate vomit...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I don't know if that article is true or not, but if it is, the world has become a sad place to live in...

http://www.halifaxherald.com/stories.../f202.raw.html

Re: Olympic games= corporate vomit...

This follows an ancient Greek tradition: 2,700 years ago at the first Olympics, no competitor nor spectator wore a Pepsi or Burger King logo either.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    This follows an ancient Greek tradition: 2,700 years ago at the first Olympics, no competitor nor spectator wore a Pepsi or Burger King logo either.

-JF
    They should all be able to wear logos of their respective laboratories on their kit these days. The labs should get medals too. There should be a sort of 'constructors' and 'drivers' championship, like in Formula One racing.

As far as things to worry about go, this is very, very, very low on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    As far as things to worry about go, this is very, very, very low on the list.
    I don't know about that. Seems to me it's a pretty serious indication of the power of corporations. And in these days of corporations disguised as White House administrations, that's pretty scary.

What power? The power to deny you admittance to a paid sporting event unless you remove the label to your soft drink? Sorry, that kind of thing just doesn't keep me awake at night.

This situation isn't new. I know that they didn't allow competitors logos into Olympic events last time as well. I vaguely remember hearing rumors to that effect when I attended the '84 games in LA.

I don't really care though if corporations play tough in the cola wars - within limits, of course. It's when they manipulate politics for direct gain that gets me.

Personally, I'm excited about watching the Olympics. I swim about 16,000 meters a week (Michael Phelps does almost that much in a day), and I compete on the local Masters team. I doubt that Phelps will get more than five golds, but that would still be amazing with today's competition. Regardless of who wins, I'll be happy to see that much coverage of the sport, and maybe I'll pick up some tips on how to lower my times.

-Jon "(not quite) Sponsored by Speedo" Fairhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Is that akin to the "Old Farts" team I'm on?
    Probably. We get some young farts there too. It's fun when us oldies can lap 'em. We've got a couple of whippersnappers who are way too fast.

Here's the US Master's Website.

We've got a great coach, Bert Petersen. He's got the world record in the 100m Fly in the 65-69 age range.

For some perspective, when he does the 50m Fly in a race, he goes the length of the pool on one breath, breathes on the turn and holds it to the end. That's the equivalent of running down a football field on one breath, taking one breath in the endzone, and holding it all the way back. Yowza!

-JF

Go Back to forum