• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Avid to Acquire M-Audio

Share/Bookmark

Re: OT: Avid to Acquire M-Audio

Interesting...they are going after the beginner, prosumer market. hopefully now they can now put together an unweighted Keystation 88 Pro mkII with the velocity issue fixed

Oh CR@P!!! Is it me, or does this sound like the end of any and all support for the halfway decent delta cards? Goodbye, decent driver development... helllloooooo flaky, PC-specific, vendor-locked hardware/software solutions....

- Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    Oh CR@P!!! Is it me, or does this sound like the end of any and all support for the halfway decent delta cards? Goodbye, decent driver development... helllloooooo flaky, PC-specific, vendor-locked hardware/software solutions....

- Keith
    Not just you. This news bums me out as well.

Here is a link with a bit better info on how the acquisition will effect end-users.

From my talks with M-Audio and their Q&A online it looks like it will be business as usual, or at least we hope!

http://midiman.net/index.php?do=medi...a4455fcfb32b1f

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

This deal has been in the works for a while. I'm surprised it finally happened.

It's a really curious aquisition. M-Audio has morphed into primarily a marketing company. Avid could no doubt use that. They have great market share in high-end applications, but poor market share in the project studio market.

I wouldn't expect any big changes through 2005 given the performance incentives that are part of the deal. With the associated text, it is clear to me that Digidesign bought M-Audio as a "revenue generator".

"Payable to M-Audio's equity holders...based on the successful achievement of certain financial milestones relating to the sale of M-Audio® products...

- $20 million for the period ending January 31, 2005

- $25 million for the period ending December 31, 2005"

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I wouldn't expect any big changes through 2005 given the performance incentives that are part of the deal. With the associated text, it is clear to me that Digidesign bought M-Audio as a "revenue generator".
    That may be, but you're looking at competing products. Digi either stays in the high end exclusively and let's go of the mbox type products that (I don't think) will ever compete with M-Audio and like competitors (yes, even EMU now, almost..). Or they take m-audio products and try to make them all high-brow. When will m-audio products start to work really well with PT LE, but not too well with Cubase, Sonar, etc.? Call me paranoid, but sumthin's gotta give, and I don't see a "high-end" manufacturer giving in to the lower end stuff.

If you go on m-audio's site right now you can download beta drivers for 64-bit OS support and GSIF2. Think we'll see that level of support after the "integration"? Let's hope so.

- Keith

Think we'll see that level of support after the "integration"? Let's hope so.
    Given the statements that were made, I wouldn't expect ANY real integration for a while. M-Audio has a very successful business model. I doubt that Digidesign wants to do anything to wreck that, at least for a while.

- Keith
    OK, Digi does not make great product, nor does their driver smooth. But compares to Maudio, they are at least one class above. I have tried Maudio product so many times and everytime they dissappointed me. Yeah, Digi has very slow driver development and many hardware dependent applications, but at least they figure out (eventually) how to make their software works whereas M-audio never past beta-testing phase. PC-specific?! What does that mean? Digi is more leaning to the Mac side than PC.

Go Back to forum