• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: CBO Report: Taxes shifted from wealthy to middle class

Share/Bookmark

CBO Report: Taxes shifted from wealthy to middle class

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    The tax cuts were fair? No way. The federal tax burden fell for the wealthy and grew for the middle class. How will Bush spin this one? Oh yeah, most likely by lying.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5689001/

-JF

Re: CBO Report: Taxes shifted from wealthy to middle class

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The tax cuts were fair? No way. The federal tax burden fell for the wealthy and grew for the middle class. How will Bush spin this one? Oh yeah, most likely by lying.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5689001/

-JF
    This study is so raft with gaps in logic it's comical.

1) Everyone who pays taxes now pays less in total dollars.

2) The rich still pay more as a percentage of income than the middle class.

3) A incrementally higher percentage of a smaller number versus a higher number (current tax burden vs previous burden) is still a lower number.

Ergo, there is no "real" shift.

Are you that partisan or just gullible?

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    This study is so raft with gaps in logic it's comical.

1) Everyone who pays taxes now pays less in total dollars.

2) The rich still pay more as a percentage of income than the middle class.

3) A incrementally higher percentage of a smaller number versus a higher number (current tax burden vs previous burden) is still a lower number.

Ergo, there is no "real" shift.

Do they teach percentages at the Bush school of math? Why would you post this crap? Are you interning for Rush? The article is quite clear. What you posted is just spin to direct us away from the fact that the wealthiest got a bigger tax break than the middle class. Not just in dollars but also in percentage. What this means is that in every conceivable sense, the rich got a bigger break than the middle class.

You can hardly call the study partisan, seeing as it was done by the CBO, and nonpartisan government agency, which is headed by Bush's former senior economist. And they aren't the only economists who have come to this conclusion.

Wes, your complete unwillingness to accept the truth is amazing to me. Let's say this together. Come on, now, join me:

"President Kerry. President Kerry. President Kerry."

Feel better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Do they teach percentages at the Bush school of math? Why would you post this crap? Are you interning for Rush? The article is quite clear. What you posted is just spin to direct us away from the fact that the wealthiest got a bigger tax break than the middle class. Not just in dollars but also in percentage. What this means is that in every conceivable sense, the rich got a bigger break than the middle class.
    Nick,

Thanks for the hyperbole instead of a cogent rebuttal based on facts. You're in typical form.

I never said the rich didn't get a bigger break. What you obviously cannot grasp is the faulty logic in the article. The article states that the tax "burden" has shifted to the middle class and uses percentages to prove it's point. As an analogy, let's say you and I are renting an apartment together (perish the thought) and the landlord charges us rent based on income. For the sake of this argument, let's say the rent is $1,000 a month and you're paying $700 of it and I'm picking up the other $300. If the landlord decides to lower the rent to $800 per month and charges you $550 and charges me $250, we've both seen our burden reduced, although your cut is larger than mine. The fault in the logic is to say that by percentage, the rent "burden" has shifted to me because where I was paying only 30% of the rent, I'm now paying 31%. While a true statement, it does not accurately reflect the fact that we've both received a cut.

The rich still pay more taxes as a percentage of their income than the middle class. Until this is not the case, it is still fair.

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    You can hardly call the study partisan, seeing as it was done by the CBO, and nonpartisan government agency, which is headed by Bush's former senior economist. And they aren't the only economists who have come to this conclusion.

Wes, your complete unwillingness to accept the truth is amazing to me.
    I never said the study was partisan...I said that anyone that takes the conclusion at face value is partisan. The Democrats asked for the study knowing what the results would be, now they're spinning it as some "truth" to the inequity of Bush's tax cut. Read my post above and either figure out why the study is bogus or enroll in a remedial course in macroeconomics.

Nick,

Thanks for the hyperbole instead of a cogent rebuttal based on facts. You're in typical form.

I never said the rich didn't get a bigger break. What you obviously cannot grasp is the faulty logic in the article. The article states that the tax "burden" has shifted to the middle class and uses percentages to prove it's point. As an analogy, let's say you and I are renting an apartment together (perish the thought) and the landlord charges us rent based on income. For the sake of this argument, let's say the rent is $1,000 a month and you're paying $700 of it and I'm picking up the other $300. If the landlord decides to lower the rent to $800 per month and charges you $550 and charges me $250, we've both seen our burden reduced, although your cut is larger than mine. The fault in the logic is to say that by percentage, the rent "burden" has shifted to me because where I was paying only 30% of the rent, I'm now paying 31%. While a true statement, it does not accurately reflect the fact that we've both received a cut.

The rich still pay more taxes as a percentage of their income than the middle class. Until this is not the case, it is still fair.
    I did give you facts and you just repeated them. Thank you. The rich received a larger tax break in dollars AND in percentage. The rich were favored in this tax cut. Now let's get Bush to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    He'll probably blame it on Osama Bin Laden somehow.
    better yet :the clintons

Kerry has now picked up the bogus study.

From a CNN article on the same subject:

"Over the last four years, the burden of taxes has shifted from the wealthy to the middle class," the Democratic presidential nominee said at a front-porch event. "The middle class is paying more taxes."

As the middle class are NOT paying more taxes (and no amount of hair splitting makes this statement correct), the question arises; is Kerry a liar or a fool?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    I did give you facts and you just repeated them. Thank you. The rich received a larger tax break in dollars AND in percentage. The rich were favored in this tax cut. Now let's get Bush to admit it.
    You have to understand that, given our current tax system, it's just not possible to have substantial tax relief without appearing to favor "the rich". The bottom 90% wage earners only pay around 35% of the total tax revenue in the US. Any substantial tax relief, as a result, must favor the top 10% that actually pay the bulk of all taxes. Tax relief that only targets the bottom 90% wage earners just wouldn't amount to very much.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast