• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to tell if you are using VST or DXi in sonar 3? Possible solution to tempo change

Share/Bookmark

How to tell if you are using VST or DXi in sonar 3? Possible solution to tempo change

When I insert an instance of gpo in sonar three it doesnt list whether its DXI or VST even after using the adapter. I admit I have been using the Dxi version for a long while. But when I go to look for the VST instead, I cannot find it and I have double checked twice with the VST adapter and it says its activated. In Sonar 2, though I didnt use the VST version, it listed the two seperatly.

Secondly, I found an odd thing with the tempo change bug and sonar in general. It appears sonar "likes" the tempo changes to be insterted , if your looking at the tempo page, directly on the bar lines. I cant confirm this since I have tried to do it every beat and every bar and sometimes had to insert re insert it just at a slightly different tempo, but it seems over all to work.

So if your trying for a accelerando ect try placing each change on the beats in straight lines so it looks like steps . Most likely you will have more success in the tempo instead of the gradual draw. Though its kinda a cheap work around and I would rather have tempo changes fixed hehe I found this to be easiest as well to keep your song out of a perfect tempo. Like I said before I cannot confirm this since I only have my computer to test this on. For me sonar seems to like these things happening on bar beats.

Now if I could just have some clue as to how to tell whether your using VST or DXI in sonar three that would be helpfull.

Thanks
    Nicole Davis

Re: How to tell if you are using VST or DXi in sonar 3? Possible solution to tempo ch

Can't help with the VST/DXi question , but regarding tempo change, in the "View-Tempo" window, there is a button that sets or unsets 'Snap to Grid' -- which sounds like your only-on-barlines problem.

Re: How to tell if you are using VST or DXi in sonar 3? Possible solution to tempo change

Hi Nicole,

On SONAR 3, the "Insert" menu has a VST section at the end, which has a secondary menu from which you can select GPO as a VST. In my installation, the DXi list listed as "NI Garritan Personal Orchestra", the VST as "PersonalOrchestraVST".

The name in the Input dropdown on the audio track of the GPO instance should show the name of GPO.

It appears sonar "likes" the tempo changes to be insterted , if your looking at the tempo page, directly on the bar lines
    EDIT: Oops...too late on this one...

Check the "Snap To Grid" property sheet on the Tempo window--it's the grid icon on the Tempo window toolbar. Change it to a lower resolution. It's probably on "Whole Note" now, which produce bar-level resolution on tempos.
    Bill

Re: How to tell if you are using VST or DXi in sonar 3? Possible solution to tempo change

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Hi Nicole,

On SONAR 3, the "Insert" menu has a VST section at the end, which has a secondary menu from which you can select GPO as a VST. In my installation, the DXi list listed as "NI Garritan Personal Orchestra", the VST as "PersonalOrchestraVST".

The name in the Input dropdown on the audio track of the GPO instance should show the name of GPO.

EDIT: Oops...too late on this one...

Check the "Snap To Grid" property sheet on the Tempo window--it's the grid icon on the Tempo window toolbar. Change it to a lower resolution. It's probably on "Whole Note" now, which produce bar-level resolution on tempos.
    Thanks both seemed to work, though in my options I found I wasnt seeing the VST version because in the plugin manager it was excluded. Dunno why lol. I musta when I first started with sonar exclluded it. Funny I tested randomly drawn tempo changes with the Dxi version I have with lower resolutions and it seems to not stick anymore as of yet. Thanks alot
    Nicole Davis

Go Back to forum