• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity changes in Overture?

Share/Bookmark

Post Velocity changes in Overture?

I've tried for the first time and completed Scott Joplin's "Bethena" in Overture with much to be edited yet. Editing dynamic markings using velocity takes away the brightness of the notes if set too low and on the opposite, thrashes them in your face if set too high. You users of this notational software have ever come to a conclusionary setting for the different dynamic markings?
    Boy, I have to tell you. I've had to play most of the notes in using Cubase SE then exporting to Overture and writing some in as well. What a pain! I have to learn more patience with this stuff. I still use to the Studibaker not the Corvette!
    Styxx

Re: Velocity changes in Overture?

Hmm... It is just a matter of typing in your own settings in the Edit Dynamic menu. If you want pianissimo to be at a louder velocity level than it is, just double click the marking in the score and change it to the level you like best. You can do the same thing with the higher velocities to bring them down to a more comfortable level.

You just can't wait until I'm done with the stinking tutorial can you buddy.

In Overture, instead of editing the velocity with the dynamic markings, I usually use the 'graphics' window (press ctrl+shift+g). In my opinion, it makes velocity (and modulation) much easier to edit, although you won't see any markings made on the score.

Well, Sean, maybe he don't want to use the Graphic Window, you didn't think o' that now did you. Huh? Bunch of wise guys.

Seriously, Mike, that's one way to do it as well. Pop the dynamics in and then enter the Graphic Window either by using the shortcut Sean gave, or by going to the top toolbar in Overture and clicking on Window, then Graphics Window.

I think it defaults to the velocity controller data at the bottom of the screen, but if not you can select it from the controller dropdown at the top of the Graphics Window. Initially on this screen, the default velocity always shows 64, the dynamics on the score do not show in the Graphics Window, so you'll have to start over from here. Just use the pencil or line tool to draw them in the controller pane at the bottom and off you go.

OK, thanks guys I'll give it a look see gee that should work and I am just a jerk who should have thought of it before but you know I'm just one hell of a bore!
    No really wait...now easy now watch now wait. Let's not go too far too fast too soon!

Tanks gentlemen. I shall give it my utmost attention.

Sorry Joseph, I get antsy with this stuffs sometime and tend to jump the fence. (I don't own a gun)
    Styxx

Go Back to forum