• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard with Keys--> Pitch Benders

Share/Bookmark

Question Keyboard with Keys--> Pitch Benders

About 7 years ago when i first started playing keyboards, i remember a guy had a synthesizer at his house .
    That synthesizer could control vibrato ( or pitch bend/modulation whatever it was ) with each key individualy , so you start playing a solo and instead of using the modulation wheel you fastly vibrate the keys left and right for vibrato .

I can't find it anywhere on the net and google searches like "key , control ,modulation , keyboard" etc bring up very irrelevant stuff.

Has anyone ever played with one of these keyboards or something similar ? Could you name one or many for me ?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Smile Re: Keyboard with Keys--> Pitch Benders

Yamaha's electone has that kind of keyboard. I think "FSV key" is the name.
    However, I think what you saw and listend to was most likely a keyboard with "aftertouch," and sound programmed using aftertouch.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Re: Keyboard with Keys--> Pitch Benders

I don't have a modweel on my keyboard...is it possible to buy a modweel seperatly? doesn't sound like it though. But I don't know... is it possible?

Thank you for your replies .

Aftertouch you say Ken-P , Hmmm , i had never thought that aftertouch could be used in such a way after-touch....
    I'll check on the Yamaha FSV Key right away . THanks,

Audun_Jemtland i don't think they sell seperate Modwheels, but i am sure you can find another way around it like buying a Foot Pedal and then assigning the Modulation to the pedal ; if your keyboard supports Controllers and has the jacks on the back side that is .
    There are also wind controllers, and recently on a eBay search i even saw a Midi Glove which was originally for gaming purposes but then got transformed into a midi controller.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

If anyone else is interested :

"With the EL-900 Yamaha have launched a new kind of keyboard response called Horizon touch. You may have already heard about this, but in a nutshell the keyboards respond to pressure exerted sideways on the keys as well as the traditional ‘up and down’ response. As you push the key left or right the pitch changes up or down. For example, the further you push the key right the higher the pitch. Set to maximum sensitivity the pitch can be changed over an octave but of course you can adjust the amount to create the right effect. I found it quite logical to use and after a little practice I achieved some great effects. It is certainly an easier way to bend the pitch than using the second expression pedal as on the EL90. It will probably take the average player quite a while to feel really comfortable with this new technique but it is a great experience – and unique to the EL-900. This kind of keyboard touch is not available even in the synth world.

The new keyboard design that has made this possible is called FSV. The V stands for ‘virtual’. ‘Virtual’ is from the name given to the latest addition to the EL sound. ‘Virtual Acoustic Synthesis’ "

Source/Full Review

The only bad thing is that it's price ( on one site ) was 4,999 $

Ken-P : you got it on the spot man
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Theodor, you made me remember The Yamaha YC-20. I owned one some time ago... I rembember Touch vibrato(and great orange color). if you press keys from one side to other you can create your vibrato. It was very expressive. I used it many years. Even now when I play sustained chords or sustaineds notes on solo, I move the keys trying to ear this fx. Of course modern synths do not provide this Touch vibrato. Maybe Yamaha must bring us this vibratro again.I«ll be very happy.

Elith

Quote Originally Posted by jose elith
    Theodor, you made me remember The Yamaha YC-20. I owned one some time ago... I rembember Touch vibrato(and great orange color). if you press keys from one side to other you can create your vibrato. It was very expressive. I used it many years. Even now when I play sustained chords or sustaineds notes on solo, I move the keys trying to ear this fx. Of course modern synths do not provide this Touch vibrato. Maybe Yamaha must bring us this vibratro again.I«ll be very happy.

Elith
    I really hope they do Elith ! I'd really love a tool like that

Vibrato Kicks [nss][nss][nss] .. always !

I'm off to school , nice talking to ya all
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

You could always buy an Ondes Martenot... if you have a spare $15000. Zut alors, c'est trop cher! Merde... etc.

Heath

Didn't the large older Yamaha organs also have some kind of horizontal control on the third "solo keyboard"? Maybe it was modulation control only and not pitch bend but at least they used the control method even back then (ca 1981-1982). I remember that I was seriously impressed by that function.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Audun_Jemtland
    I don't have a modweel on my keyboard...is it possible to buy a modweel seperatly? doesn't sound like it though. But I don't know... is it possible?
    I found this site when i was looking for something else, haven't tried it but it sounds like it could be something for you.
    With this software, you're supposed to be able to use your mouse or joystick as a modwheel!

http://www.tobybear.de/p_mcc.html

Go Back to forum