I'm looking for some information on the GPO - it's probably stuff circilating around this board already, but anyhow...
Firstly my situation: I've been given the job of doing the Audio Post on an up coming Sci-fi short film (that has received funding - what a change!). I've recently been given the 'score composing' portfolio as well, to go along with everything else Audio post related.
Unfortunatly the funding does not appear to cover musical stuff, so I'd be looking at purchasing 'whatever' for myself. - Which is why the GPO is so attractive. HOWEVER....
A FEW WISE QUESTIONS:
1) Is the GPO 24 bit/96 kHz?
2) I have AT LEAST a few weeks before I need to purchase anything - will a new version of GPO, or any substantial UPDATES be expected to occur in and around the next month? (if so I will hold fire until then)
3) Is the cost for the new version going to be OVER $300? (Yes I know it's
'great value at twice the price'..but I have a teeny personal budget)
4) I'm a Roland soundcanvas user (sc-88Pro) running Sonar - How much different is setting up and using GPO? NOTE: never used a sampler.
5) Anyone familiar with the above sound module, and GPO - How much of a step up (in your humble opinions) are the orchestra sounds?
In terms of what the film is trying to achieve, it's going for a subtle, dark and moody sci-fi feel -I'm looking at creating a more subtle score which has more of a longing atmosphere, and lonely melodies. That's the main reason I'm thinking of going orchestral, with some additional synth pads.
Cheers, and thanks for the help.