• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking to use GPO for Short Film Score...

Share/Bookmark

Looking to use GPO for Short Film Score...

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information on the GPO - it's probably stuff circilating around this board already, but anyhow...

Firstly my situation: I've been given the job of doing the Audio Post on an up coming Sci-fi short film (that has received funding - what a change!). I've recently been given the 'score composing' portfolio as well, to go along with everything else Audio post related.

Unfortunatly the funding does not appear to cover musical stuff, so I'd be looking at purchasing 'whatever' for myself. - Which is why the GPO is so attractive. HOWEVER....

A FEW WISE QUESTIONS:
    ===================

1) Is the GPO 24 bit/96 kHz?

2) I have AT LEAST a few weeks before I need to purchase anything - will a new version of GPO, or any substantial UPDATES be expected to occur in and around the next month? (if so I will hold fire until then)

3) Is the cost for the new version going to be OVER $300? (Yes I know it's
    'great value at twice the price'..but I have a teeny personal budget)

4) I'm a Roland soundcanvas user (sc-88Pro) running Sonar - How much different is setting up and using GPO? NOTE: never used a sampler.

5) Anyone familiar with the above sound module, and GPO - How much of a step up (in your humble opinions) are the orchestra sounds?

In terms of what the film is trying to achieve, it's going for a subtle, dark and moody sci-fi feel -I'm looking at creating a more subtle score which has more of a longing atmosphere, and lonely melodies. That's the main reason I'm thinking of going orchestral, with some additional synth pads.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Matt.

Re: Looking to use GPO for Short Film Score...

P.S. Just a little extra information about me -

I play Piano/Keyboard, Percussion, Guitar. Been playing keyboard for a number of years, and sequencing on computer since the very late 90's. I've created scores for personal and student (and a couple pro) short films & documentaries.
    My bread-winner however is as a camera operator, editor and general television runner.

Ciao
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R.
    Hi all,

4) I'm a Roland soundcanvas user (sc-88Pro) running Sonar - How much different is setting up and using GPO? NOTE: never used a sampler.

5) Anyone familiar with the above sound module, and GPO - How much of a step up (in your humble opinions) are the orchestra sounds?

In terms of what the film is trying to achieve, it's going for a subtle, dark and moody sci-fi feel -I'm looking at creating a more subtle score which has more of a longing atmosphere, and lonely melodies. That's the main reason I'm thinking of going orchestral, with some additional synth pads.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Matt.
    I can address questions 4 and 5. I use a Roland SK-88Pro, which is the same sound module as yours, but with the built-in keyboard. If you were able to set up the sound canvas, you'll have no problem using GPO. Ever use any software synths before? You're just going to assign playback of some of your MIDI tracks to GPO instead of the SC-88Pro. Piece of cake, GPO is really easy to use, right out of the box, but is complex enough that you'll be able to improve things as you learn.

As far as sound quality goes, the orchestral sounds WILL be a big step up in realism from the Roland, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Roland orchestral sounds (i.e. stereo slow strings patch) won't continue to be useful. The SC-88 is a great module. I like to layer the SC and GPO together for more tonal variety. If you're looking for dark, moody, expressive stuff, GPO is definitely the right thing to add.

Altogether, it should be exactly what you need.

Jim

I don't think anyone who has the privilege to work in such capacity should exclude-using GPO. If you are seriously serious about your work get it. I use the SC88, 8850 sound modules and would never think about being with out GPO for best orchestral sounds for the cost. $249, you can't even hire musicans to cover such parts for that.
    Just my opinion. If I were to be as fortunate I wouldn't hesitate.
    Styxx

Hey thanks guys.

It's quite good to hear from people with similar modules.

I've just discovered I've got 3 weeks to sort something out, so if I purchased it shortly, what will happen when the new version comes out?

I've heard some people kicking about the idea of a free update, but a bit extra for the big band sounds - am I correct? I really would be {bad language } off if I get it and the next week an update comes out which I also have to pay for.

Again thanks for the help, you've cleared up a lot of questions already!

Ciao
    Matt

An update to GPO will be released shortly, and will be free to registered GPO users.

The big band project is a seperate product. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there's a special price for GPO users (but I don't work for Gary, so don't take my word for it!)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I reiterate. Spend more money on sound modules and other libs and you just might get what you need. Spend it on GPO and you will not have to worry about the updates. The jazz lib will be worth every penny. Regardless, take a good look around here. Where else will you find this kind of customer interest from any of those other lib developers or sound mod companies. I don't know what else is needed here to convince you new people that you just can't go wrong!
    In my opinion, you are not only getting a great orchestra library but credibility as well.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R.
    1) Is the GPO 24 bit/96 kHz?
    Not sure about 24 bit but its definitely not 96 khz. Do you really care though? I'm not aware of any sample libraries that are 96 khz.

2) I have AT LEAST a few weeks before I need to purchase anything - will a new version of GPO, or any substantial UPDATES be expected to occur in and around the next month? (if so I will hold fire until then)
    I don't think you need to wait. get it now, get the free update later. Or if there is a small update price, it shouldn't be any worse than the increase of price of the product which may occur. In other words, you can't go wrong either way.

3) Is the cost for the new version going to be OVER $300? (Yes I know it's
    'great value at twice the price'..but I have a teeny personal budget)
    They don't know yet.

I think if your budget is small enough that you're worried about $250 vs $300 in price, then there is NOTHING in this price range that will give you realistic orchestra sounds like GPO. If you want orchestra, GPO will give it. However, if you don't know anything about orchestration in general, budget some money for a book on the topic and plan to spend some time with it.

cheers
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

As for the 24bit 96khz question, more curious than anything else - my sound module is 44khz anyway.

It's good to hear that any updates will be free for registered GPO users - hope there would be an update CD...my poor dialup connection would probably cry

When I listened to the demos, I knew that value for money on the GPO is outstanding (not that I need to convince anyone here ). My only concern, even with a mild price increase, is the fact that I don't have a lot of money. - ah the money situations of the struggling, misunderstood artist are barren, and often wendy. LOL.

Anyway, thanks for advice and info - look forward to conversing with you guys later.

Ciao

Thumbs up Re: Looking to use GPO for Short Film Score...

I just used GPO for a suspense thriller short - both a full orchestra for a "news update" sound logo and strings for the main theme. I separately used the Malmsjo piano, but it was for a decidedly dark and subtle part. The Steinway piano in GPO is stellar, and works well in a broad range of contexts. I can't imagine a better orchestra-in-a-computer than GPO. It's perfect for film work - whether as a complete solution for shorts, or as a back-end to a scoring program for orchestral arranging. Go for it.

Incidentally, I also did all audio editing end-to-end for my project -- makes me curious if the tools and skill levels will rise enough to "up the ante" and put the audio engineer/composers at an advantage...

Anyway, GPO can render at 96KHz just fine (through Nuendo), but I'm not sure that it matters in this context. When I work to film, it's always at 48KHz - set it and forget it. I think the sample rate is converted on the fly by the host program - dependent on the sample rate set by the DAW software or audio interface driver.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum