• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First post, first GPO track

Share/Bookmark

First post, first GPO track

Greetings to all.

Finally, this is my first post here and also my first attempt of working with the GPO. Here´s the link to a mp3 of the menuet of Mozart´s 29th symphony (No repeats in the menuet) which Gary Garritan hosted in the GPO server (with my gartitude). Of course since it´s my first try-out there are tons of mistakes which I hope you´ll help me fix.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Menuet_moz_29.mp3

José Miguel Serrano
    _Keol

Re: First post, first GPO track

I'm Downloading now Keol - can't wait to listen...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Very nice Keol, looks like you were getting REALLY good with GPO while attending the chats!

This is very nice - although it does distort occasionally - don't know if this is on my end - or if anyone else is getting this - but fabulous mock-up...

Now - can't wait to hear some original material from you! Good luck.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thanks a lot Alan for your comments.

I´m sure that the distortion problem is from the file, cause Gary noted that too. That´s another thing I need to learn: How to control the high peaks.

Regarding the original material... I too want to hear it in the GPO! hehe but I guess that would be wise to write it first

I´d like to hear more comments, so I can make a new version with all the fixing suggested here and then check if I can improve it.

thanks again

José Miguel Serrano
    Keol

This is good work. Nice sound.

It sounds as though you are using portamento to "slide" into the string attacks. They could be stronger and more definitive, in my humble opinion.

Regards,

Larry A.

Very nicely done, but a lot of distortion. As you said, most likely it's caused by the levels being too high. What are you using to record (i.e., are you using Cubase? Sonar? Overture?) I'm sure somebody out here can help you get the levels right if we know what tools you are using.
    Trent P. McDonald

well, I transcribed it into finale and made the rest on sonar. That was pretty much it...I noticed that the problems occure most likely when the oboes and the horns are sounding and I even lower their volume a bit (apparently, not enough)

but to answer your question right away: Finale and sonar

Please, let me know if there´s a way of keeping those peaks low withouth taking away volume. (I´ll up the volume in the "piano" bits. the difference is too big and if I try to lower one I might "dissapear" the other

Thanks
    José Miguel Serrano
    Keol

Thumbs up Re: First post, first GPO track

Hi, Juan/Keol - -

Very nice first post of the Mozart. I, too, found the dynamic extremes a little, well, extreme. You seem to go from pp to fffff (where pp to ff is probably far enough for Wolfgang). What was not fffff was quite delicious. (I don't normally comment on non-original pieces anymore, but you've been a nice guy on the Friday/Sunday IRC sessions, so I thought I'd chime in on your first one.)

Now that you've got the first under your belt ... something original, perhaps?

Regards ... KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by _Keol
    Please, let me know if there´s a way of keeping those peaks low withouth taking away volume. (I´ll up the volume in the "piano" bits. the difference is too big and if I try to lower one I might "dissapear" the other
    Thanks
    Hi Keol,

If you're using a late version of Sonar, then you have a 32bit audio engine with a lot of audio headroom, and the overloading is not likely to be occurring internally in sonar, unless you are overloading some DSP plugs (reverb?). The clipping is likely occuring inside the GPO player itself, or in the reverb plugin, or after the output stage if your stereo mix is too hot (the internal 32 bit audio stream can be much hotter than 16 bit D/A converters can handle). The first step in the solution is to ascertain where the problem is occuring. You'll have to track this down by listening and looking at Sonar's various elements and meters.

Mastering engineers typically advise to provide them with a final stereo mix, uncompressed, that doesn't exceed -0.5 to -0.2 dBFS. If you look at such a waveform , at low magnification, you will see a dark blob, with apparent upper boundaries that don't touch the 0 dBFS limit. A clipped (too hot) waveform will have an upper boundary that looks like it was drawn with a ruler - a straight line.

If this is the case, then overall volume levels need to be reduced. You could go into the GPO player and reduce the volume setting on each instrument by some fixed amount (say -6 dB). Or, do something equivalent with your Sonar tracks. Or pull down your master fader and see if that solves the problem.

If your final mix doesn't have any of this 'straight line' boundary, then either a plugin is overloaded or you likely have smaller transient peaks that are clipping. Zoom in on the waveform at the point where you hear distortion, and you will probably see transient peaks that hit the limit (flat peaks). Again, the mix is too hot. Such peaks can be handled by judicious use of a limiter, if you have one in Sonar - a limiter will not reduce the total volume if it is properly set up.

A compressor is another useful tool, but it comes at the expense of (usually) coloring the sound and reducing the dynamic range of the music. I think it's a true statement that classical mixes are usually not compressed at all - or if so, only very moderately.

The powerful DSP tools available today, and commercial competition for radio air time (where louder is often perceived to be better), have led to a lot of popular music being hopelessly compressed, literally flattened or squashed. Loud - yes. Dynamic range and expressiveness - no!

In your case, I would suggest you simply reduce volumes as needed to get a clean mix, without any special DSP dynamic processing, that doesn't exceed -0.5 to -0.2 dBFS.

Trond

Hey Keol! Good to see you here in GPO! On another thread I've just put up some Unheard Beethoven mp3s that you may be interested in (hess 310 and a variant of WoO 19). They should be in the long-promised update to the website that will come, hm hm in a week or so. Xickx has finally given his blessing to everything so the final wrapup just needs to be done.

gardi

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast