• Register
  • Help

Topic: help getting started...

Share/Bookmark

Red face help getting started...

After many many hicups, I think I have giga working correctly. Now I am trying to record some test files to see how they are coming out so I can edit them. It seems to be saving the files as waves but sonar and my windows media player does not seem to recognize the file. I'm wondering what do I need to do to get everything going? Thanks!

Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: help getting started...

Do you have it set to 44.1 kHz in settings? If not, try that and see if your player will recognize the resulting wav file.

yes it is 44 khz. it says unable to reconize file.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you are capturing 24-bit, Windows Media Player does not recognize it. Long story, but basically, the WAV spec doesn't officially support 24-bit audio. Stupid? Extremely. But Microsoft has been inexplicably obstinate about making this simple change. You need to open 24-bit wav files in an appropriate DAW or audio editor application. Or change the output file-spec to 44.1/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    If you are capturing 24-bit, Windows Media Player does not recognize it. Long story, but basically, the WAV spec doesn't officially support 24-bit audio. Stupid? Extremely. But Microsoft has been inexplicably obstinate about making this simple change. You need to open 24-bit wav files in an appropriate DAW or audio editor application. Or change the output file-spec to 44.1/16.
    Yeah, funny bit of info. about that, in case you use WinAmp. If you play two consecutive files in WinAmp (version 3, 5, whatever) and the first is 24-bit and the second is 16-bit, then the first will be played correctly (assuming your card supports 24-bit playback) and the second will blast you with noise. If you stop and start playback on the 16-bit file again, then it will play correctly. Basically it just happens whenever WinAmp goes back to 16-bit from 24-bit and not when playing a series of 24-bit files consecutively. Now, I use it to audition 24-bit files all the time but note that it's possible that not all 24-bit .wav file encoding are supported. Also, sample rate isn't an issue here. You can switch from 44.1 to 96 and back again with no problems.

thank you for your help, changing it to 16 bit helped out. Now I feel like a tard cause Sonar can't read it. Do I need some kind of wave editor or what to start recording songs?

Go Back to forum