• Register
  • Help

Topic: New gentle piece

Share/Bookmark

New gentle piece

Here's a little reverie of a piece I've just composed, featuring piano, celeste, two horns, tuba, and string choir. The brass is processed to sound very far away -- perhaps even under water. The piano has a delay effect towards the middle of the work.

Matt and Claire - 1.92MB

I thought I'd share this as sort of a sideline to the discusion on dissonance that's been going on in the general forum. One of the themes I often use in my works, is using dissonances that may ordinarily be considered "ugly" in a way that is gentle and beautiful. It begins with a tonal center of F, but with a back and forth tug between major and minor. It works its way towards a later tug between B major and minor. The strings settle on Bb minor at the very end, but the other instruments are still undecided.

Don't expect this to get your blood pumping... the dynamics vary from ppp to p. It could almost be called an "ambient" piece.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thumbs up Re: New gentle piece

Who started that stupid post on dissonance anyway?

I like! Very nice.
    Styxx

Re: New gentle piece

Very pretty sounds. For me, the piano echo at around 0:30 adds a rhythmic 'dissonance' that detracts from the piece. Otherwise very nice.

Skysaw,

That's sweet, nicely atmospheric, and an interesting instrumental combination to boot. Placing a lot of the dissonance in the celesta really softens it, yet gets it across at the same time. It's kind of rainy here today, so this fits the mood perfectly.

Very nice. The end, with the minor feel but not quite is, how can I say it, gently disturbing? It's nice but not something to cheer yourself up with on a rainy day.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for all the comments. "Rainy," and "gently disturbing" are good matches for what I was going for. This is for a scene where a husband and wife are on talking on the phone, and she is asking for a divorce. It dovetails with the husband lying in bed crying while the conversation continues as narration to the scene. At the end of the piece, we are suddenly shifted to a dream sequence, floating underwater.

Horribly sad, but extremely calm. It was interesting trying to mirror that in music.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Another one for my "GPO Album". Great as I have come to expect from you Jaime. Keep 'em coming!

Go Back to forum