• Register
  • Help

Topic: Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Share/Bookmark

Red face Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Hey all,
    I am finally starting to use GPO now that the system is setup and I've moved some MIDI exports from Sibelius to Cubase SX.

First thing I should say is...I have a long way to go!

I'm going to have some questions, but I'll try to keep the number of them down and will only ask after I feel I have done my homework to answer them myself. Fair enough?

My first question is general. I am currently using GPO Studio with Cubase SX. However, I also own Kontakt and am wondering if it would make more sense to use Kontakt than GPO Studio. I've read through the forum and the web site and I get the general feeling that Kontakt might be the better option. So, here is what I am trying to figure out:
    What does Kontakt bring to the plate that GPO Studio does not? (I've read the FAQ, so I understand the 16 instruments per instance and tweaking benefits. I am wondering if there is anything such as the long and short bow switching available like MaestroTools offers, etc.)

Any tips, etc. would be appreciated. I'm trying to ramp up as quickly as I can, though I have found that it will take longer than expected. This is not GPO's fault, rather it is a PEBKAC problem. (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)

Fade to black in 5...4...3...2...1

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Do you mean Kontakt or the GPO Kontakt Player? If so, I have Kontakt and I still use the player due to better performance. I get better performance out of my ram than I do streaming off a hard drive. If you mean Studio, well, that depends. How are you using Kontakt? Standalone or as a VSTi in Cubase? I don't think you're going to gain anything by using Kontakt with GPO unless you're short of ram and this is the only way that you can load a full palette. Disk streaming kills my CPU performance as well as the number of voices I can get at once. So I'd recommend sticking with the player unless you need disk streaming. Of course, keep Kontakt for those instruments you need outside GPO.

Re: Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Welcome, Kevin

You'll get much better control over the audio streams coming out of the GPO Kontakt Player if you use GPO as a VST plugin inside of Cubase SX - instead of out of GPO Studio. You can set different reverb send levels for each and every instrument that way, for example.

There's really no benefit to the full Kontakt, instead of the GPO VST plugin, unless you want access to all the knobs that are behind the marvelous programming of GPO. I have both Kontakt and the GPO KOntakt player, and I use the GPO player as much, if not more, than the full kontakt for GPO. But, then again, I'm not really a knob tweaker. :-)

Trond

Thumbs up Re: Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Thanks for the input, Trond and Joseph!

I was unclear in my last post - I am not using GPO Studio per se, rather the VSTi as Trond described. From what I gather from both of you, I am headed down the right path, as I am not much of a knob tweaker when it comes to samplers. Good to know, as I want to start creating some templates I can use to get up and moving quickly.

Thanks again!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Smile Re: Now that I'm Using GPO I Have A (Few) Questions

Hi Kev (from another Kev):

I use Cubase SX 2 and GPO (as VSTi) and -- except forthe restriction of only having 1 gig of RAM on my P-4 2.66, I'm pretty happy with it. Since the new update will have DFD (disk streaming) that could help to ease the memory constraint under which I am now living, which limits the size of my "orchestra". (I really don't like the process of converting MIDI to audio and then using that along with other MIDI and audio as that removes final tweaks that are always necessary in mixing a complex piece of music. I have done it in a few extreme cases, but I'm really not comfortable with the process and what you have to trade off.)

As I get more familiar with the Kontakt player and the resources that GPO have put in our hands, I am playing a bit more with "Var 1", "Var 2" and "Porta___" where it makes sense. In general, those controls give you a bit more customizability and make your instruments sound more real and less "canned". There's talk that there's an "advanced" book coming which addresses GPO (hopefully the update) and it's sure to be a best-seller in this community.

In the meantime, keep on!

KevinKauai

Go Back to forum