• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT--Bill Evans, Pianist--Ovation Network

Share/Bookmark

OT--Bill Evans, Pianist--Ovation Network

Today is the 75th anniversary of the birth of one of my three musical heroes, Bill Evans.

There is a special about him tonight on the Ovation network. If you get this channel and could tape or DVD it for me, I'll gladly reimburse your expenses and offer you a "mental Guinness" for your effort.

A copy of this program would have great meaning for me.

Nobody in my circle of friends gets this channel.

The best part of all this is that I've given you all about 2 hours notice as far as I can tell.

Thanx for any help!!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: OT--Bill Evans, Pianist--Ovation Network

Sorry Jim, I'd do if for you if I got the channel, but just in case no one can I'm pretty sure you can find it here after it airs.

http://www.facets.org/asticat

They also have some older documentaries of Bill Evans. Search for him.

Bill Evans is one of my favs, too. I wish I got that channel. With any luck it will reach DVD.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

I watched it for about 20 minutes (Ovation, NY Time-Warner cable), between the Olympics. According to one acquaintance, Evans was influenced by such dissonant (no pun intended, well maybe accidentally) influences as Brahms and Debussy. They are obvious influences in his popular style. The archive films were o.k., his last recorded appearance shows him quite thin; according to the documentary he died not long afterward of liver and stomach problems playing in a NY club. I'm sorry I didn't see your notice before: I'll try to catch a rerun.

Quote Originally Posted by sam ward
    I watched it for about 20 minutes (Ovation, NY Time-Warner cable), between the Olympics. According to one acquaintance, Evans was influenced by such dissonant (no pun intended, well maybe accidentally) influences as Brahms and Debussy. They are obvious influences in his popular style. The archive films were o.k., his last recorded appearance shows him quite thin; according to the documentary he died not long afterward of liver and stomach problems playing in a NY club. I'm sorry I didn't see your notice before: I'll try to catch a rerun.
    Sam,
    Thank you for the info...it will be repeated...I'll look at their schedule and report to you. I would dearly appreciate it!!
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Sam,
    Thank you for the info...it will be repeated...I'll look at their schedule and report to you. I would dearly appreciate it!!
    Jim W.
    Jim: To make sure I don't miss your notice, you should send me an email as well: samward@earthlink.net

someone posted a link a while back that had a paper written about Bill Evans. Its quite insightful:

http://www.chuckisraels.com/worddocs/evans.doc
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    someone posted a link a while back that had a paper written about Bill Evans. Its quite insightful:

http://www.chuckisraels.com/worddocs/evans.doc
    Mighta been me
    Thanx...Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum