Share/Bookmark

Attn: Universal Health Care Proponents

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Curious to hear your thoughts on this scenario:

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3848

Re: Attn: Universal Health Care Proponents

Lot's of conjecture. No facts.

It would be more interesting to read an objective analysis of what exactly the situation is in Europe and Canada. I know that they have thick bureaucracies, which ain't so hot, but our costs are higher and our life expectancy is something like 23rd among developed nations. We can do better.

And the author should really visit California sometime. They had auto insurance gouging, and implmented some regulations. Last I read, it had decreased rates, and the insurance companies whined, but still made reasonable profits. I haven't followed it lately, so I don't know if the gouging is back, or if the regulations became onerous.

It's a constant battle to keep from being raped by providers of required services, to keep government from being purchased by the gougers, and to keep government from going overboard with regulations. Balancing takes constant adjustment.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Lot's of conjecture. No facts.
    Maybe, but this is simple economics 101. It doesn’t take a genius or a 10 year study to anticipate such things.

I know that they have thick bureaucracies, which ain't so hot, but our costs are higher and our life expectancy is something like 23rd among developed nations.
    Regarding life expectancy, you’ve got to remember that these numbers almost certainly include illegal immigrants, and the US has one of the highest (if not THE highest) rates of immigration (including illegal) in the world. These people are coming from rough lives in third-world countries and the illegals usually come here poor and stay that way for a good while. That’s bound to negatively impact our numbers while not being an accurate representation of the real situation.

It's a constant battle to keep from being raped by providers of required services, to keep government from being purchased by the gougers, and to keep government from going overboard with regulations.
    There’s an easy way to keep “gougers” from purchasing the government – make sure government has nothing to sell them! So long as government has practical carte blanche to interfere with the economy (as well as everything else in life for that matter), you’ll have people trying to buy the use of that power to their advantage. Take that power away, and suddenly there’s nothing to buy and everybody has to make it on their own merits alone. A frightening thought, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Maybe, but this is simple economics 101.
    Yes, simple economics. Possibly too simple.

Again, we have case studies in many developed countries. Let's study how they and we succeed and fail, then we can theorize how to improve.

-JF

Go Back to forum