• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: UK Upgrades ... horrific pricing

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

UK Upgrades ... horrific pricing

I have spent last night and this morning trying to place a pre-order for GS3.

1. Last night: Thomas at Tascam says they will NOT be doing international upgrades from the states, and couldn't/wouldn't take my pre-order. (didn't discuss situation with pre-orders already taken.) Advised I call tascam UK.

2. This morning: Tascam UK expect GS3 in a few weeks, but didn't know anything about upgrade pricing and told me to talk to local distributors - "the upgrade experts".

3. Tascam Germany were splendidly helpful, and very open. And seems quite up-to-date.
    - he knows all CDs / manuals have been finished.
    - they expect to recieve GS3 end of August / beginning of September.
    - all upgrades in Europe will be through the dealer network, (although this has not been finalised).
    - Tascam have had a long and heated internal debate for the last 6 months about the upgrade process, and have only recently decided that upgrades direct from Europe is only feasible model. At MusicMesse they finally started to understand the difficulties of doing the upgrades in Europe.
    - BUT, the upgrade process hasn't been finalised. Dealers will sell boxes, but no final decision on where authorisation process will happen from .. still some debate whether it will happen in Europe as well as US. (He was adamant and a little embarressed that the upgrade process hadn't been finalised yet).
    - He said pricing in mainland Europe would be "nearly the same" as the US, plus local taxes / shipping costs.

... but then I called the UK distributor ....

4. Called UK distributor for upgrade pricing ..... ohhh, S**t
    The following hasn't been set in stone ... but they really do NOT expect it to change now (it is not ontheir web site).

Tascam UK are very reluctant to be part of upgrade process and so have handed it off to the dealers.
    I only enquired about my upgrade costs, which will be GS32 to Orchestral.
    Tascam site says costs will be $399.

UK distributor will charging £429 (only £20 less than full price) .... that is about $785 versus $399 from Tascam US.

Upgrading from GS160 to Orchestral ... even if I buy GS160 at this late stage it will be £269 to go from 32 to 160, and a further £249 to go from 160 to orchestral. They don't seem to be doing the $50 upgrade offer in the UK, and now Tascam US won't allow upgrades from the US.

I hope this is just a big misunderstanding ... but when I said to the distributor I thought this was outrageous pricing .... he said "sorry, but thats what it is".

Words escape me to express how I feel ....

Re: UK Upgrades ... horrific pricing

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    I hope this is just a big misunderstanding ... but when I said to the distributor I thought this was outrageous pricing .... he said "sorry, but thats what it is".

Yes, I think in future I will probably buy from the US rather than UK. Yes I know that it means that I have to contact technical help over there when I have problems, but it would certainly be cheaper in the long run if this really is Tascam's policy on pricing.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by andyt

1. Last night: Thomas at Tascam says they will NOT be doing international upgrades from the states, and couldn't/wouldn't take my pre-order. (didn't discuss situation with pre-orders already taken.) Advised I call tascam UK.

I've just been through this nonsense on pricing differences with Cakewalk

see

European Pricing Rip-off

In the end Cakewalk did acknowledge the issue and express their wish to do something about it - but then, Cakewalk do have a reputation for listening.......

I really hope Tascam sort this out , because otherwise I won't be upgrading at the prices quoted, on principle.....

If I canr upgrade for the promised 50$ I will be so unbeleivably pissed, that the last few months of "tascam cant be trusted/it will ship this september" bitching will seem like an endorsement!

andyt

I've had follow-up calls with both Tascam Germany and the UK Distributor this afternoon.

Tascam Germany pointed me in the direction of other European distributors ... Best Service and Thomann. (Thomann's prices seem really attractive even for the full price product). He emphasised again European Upgrade pricing had not been absolutely 100% finalised, just yet.

Okay, I should know this being an EU resident .... but if I buy a product from Germany say, do I still pay import duty when it comes into the UK ? I'm sure we don't ... has anyone else in the UK bought from Best Service or Thomann before ??? (Project SAM has EU and non-EU pricing for sure.)

Following my first call, the UK GS distributor had gone to the Tascam site himself, and he acknowledged there was a big disparity between what the US prices were and what had been set his company. He also agreed if his own prices stay the same, its gonna drive UK residents to the grey import market. He is going to raise it with a colleague who deals predominantly with Tascam and set the prices (but that won't be in the office until next week now).

No.. duties... you can order all you want from other euro countries, and not worry about duties!

[QUOTE=andyt]
    Okay, I should know this being an EU resident .... but if I buy a product from Germany say, do I still pay import duty when it comes into the UK ? I'm sure we don't ... has anyone else in the UK bought from Best Service or Thomann before ??? (Project SAM has EU and non-EU pricing for sure.)
    QUOTE]

I think that unless you are a VAT registered business you will have to pay local VAT to where you buy the product from.

Daryl

In my experince and to my knowledge, If you live in a EU country and buy something from another EU country you do not pay additional duties.

From Best Service I have bought 3 Project SAM , 8 VSL products, Rare Instruments, Stylus, Atmosphere, Trilogy, DFH Superior and more the past year.. and I have never had any extra duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    In my experince and to my knowledge, If you live in a EU country and buy something from another EU country you do not pay additional duties.

From Best Service I have bought 3 Project SAM , 8 VSL products, Rare Instruments, Stylus, Atmosphere, Trilogy, DFH Superior and more the past year.. and I have never had any extra duties.
    Correct. Its the same for me living in Spain. No VAT at all. But the resulting payement for taxes is the same. You don´t pay VAT when you buy something from other contry but your trimestral payement is raised or better said not diminished by any previous VAT payment. But your money stay in your pocket, sure!

andyt

Thank you everyone for your answers about duty in Europe. It is as I thought. So I think I will purchase from Thomann in Germany. Fantastic prices.

Thomann Full Product: GS3 Orchestra is 285 pounds + 15 pounds shipping (including UK taxes) This is the price for the full software, not the the upgrade pricing.

Compare these to UK prices
    Etcetera: Orchestra Full: 449 pounds
    TurnKey: Orchestra Full: 449 pounds

Go Back to forum