• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pizz pan position problem?

Share/Bookmark

Pizz pan position problem?

Say that 10 times fast! Pizz pan position problem.. pizz pan position problem... pizz pan position problem...

Anyway, I was working on a piece and I'm noticing a strange pan with one of the pizz notes. Check it out... MP3

There is the pizz pattern that goes -

C C B B
    C C B B
    B B A A
    B B A A

Those 'A' notes are panning much further left than everything else. Is that an "audible illusion" or something? Not a big deal, but I'm just wondering why that would be. It's as though a different group of violinists in the ensemble are playing those notes.

I have both the Section Strings Vlns 1 and 2 pizz going there.

And I suppose it should go without saying that...

(it went without saying)

Signed,
    Baffled in Buffalo
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Smile Re: Pizz pan position problem?

Ok, so? I rather like the effect it renders to this piece. Speaking of, what do you call this piece anyway? Obviously part of something bigger "MUCH BIGGER" to be posted later?

By the way, I went to my cupboards and my pizza pans are fine. Must be something in your program.
    Styxx

Re: Pizz pan position problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Ok, so? I rather like the effect it renders to this piece.
    Well, I'm just curious as to why it does that, and I thought Tom might want to look into the panning on that note. I'm not at my GPO computer now, otherwise I'd check it further. I only noticed it listening to the demo this morning. No panning was altered in the mix, and everything was set where it defaults, so... ??

Speaking of, what do you call this piece anyway?
    I call it "GPO 080704". An evocative title, huh?

Obviously part of something bigger "MUCH BIGGER" to be posted later?
    Hard to say. It's one of about a dozen short GPO pieces that I've been messing around with, and trying to develop further. If I can find some way to string them all together, then I'd have another composition to enter for the GPO contest! That should sound really cohesive, eh?

By the way, I went to my cupboards and my pizza pans are fine. Must be something in your program.
    Yup, one of the pepperonis is off balance to the left...
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Okay, I tried it out, and the problem is only with the Section Strings Vlns 2 Pizz, not Vlns 1. A#6 and up are more centered, and A6 and down go off to the left a bit.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Shazbot,

Each violin section consisted of several players seated in an arrangement that represents a significant portion of the left to right spread across the stereo stage. The stereo positioning of the pizzicato (more so than sustained sounds) reflects the relative strength of player execution and natural variations in instrument resonance on a note-to-note basis. If a player or players seated more to the left happened to predominate on a particular note the impression of stereo spread favored the left. If players in the middle or on the right happened to be more forceful the impression of stereo spread was weighted accordingly. Such variations were common in the original sessions – goes with the territory.

It so happens that in this particular case I experimented at one point with using compensation panning on certain pizz samples but the compensation created an unnatural (and very audible) shifting of the original acoustic space as well. I felt that leaving things “as is” was the lesser distraction. By the way, anyone who has the full version of Kontakt can experiment with panning at the zone level for these and other samples.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Pizz pan position problem?

Well then my hats off to you Tom! And if this be the case, it is quite an impressive example of mic placement capturing the realism of the stereo spectrum related to the players positions. Probably a trade secret but if I may ask as to what type of mics you used?
    By the way, anyone who has the full version of Kontakt can experiment with panning at the zone level for these and other samples.
    That, I will have to try.

Well, there we have it Shaz. Like I said be 3, I like it.
    Styxx

Well alright, as long as it's expected to be that way. Just sounds a little odd that all of the Vlns 1 Pizz and all of the Vlns 2 Pizz above A6 sound centered, and then all of a sudden at A6 and below they sound to the left.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Hmmmm, that should be wewy innerestingk. Pizza Pizza!
    Styxx

Styxx,

"Probably a trade secret but if I may ask as to what type of mics you used?"

Actually, I'm not certain if Gary wants that information released or not. I'll leave that answer to him.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Probably a trade secret but if I may ask as to what type of mics you used?
    I betcha they used one of these... didn't you Tom.... Gary.... ?

Go Back to forum