• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

What does a composer do while waiting to be “discovered”? You write more and more audition pieces and reverently think of the talents come and gone who might have recognized your stuff and picked it up.

This piece (at the top of the list on this page) started from a minimalist “chamber orchestra” (a full section of plucked/pizzicato strings, a semi-solo cello, piano, bass flute, bowed double bass section and a celeste) and went on a melancholy ride through the fog. The instruments are from the Garritan Orchestral Strings (Lite), the Garritan Personal Orchestra, the Wizoo Platinum Grand 24 piano and scored in Cubase SX with HALion3 and the Kontakt sample player. As usual, WMA is 56K in deference to dial-up folk and the MP3 is at 160K. The PDF of the score is there for those that want to follow along on this very simple piece.

I used the "concert hall 2" impulse which Gary has been sharing in what I think is a fairly restrained fashion. I was going for a "chamber"-ish hall feeling, along the lines of Hertz Hall on the campus of UC Berkeley. If anyone has (or can point me to) other more suitable "chamber" impulses, I'd be glad to render a comparison version.

As usual, comments, suggestions welcomed.

KevinKauai

Re: Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

What does a composer do while waiting to be “discovered”?
    Decompose?
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

What is it with all of you on this forum? Why must you be so gifted? Where do I find the spark that so Heavenly shines from your music? Can I ever hope to be so free as to learn thus grow with my feelings as well as the rest of you?

Kevin, However so simple, this is enormously beautiful and emotionally moving.
    Don't change anything...not one instrument, not one moment of time.
    Styxx

Very nice, and thanks for the score to read along with. I couldn't help imagining a french film montage of the struggling composer's daily life.
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Pretty, moving, and nicely understated. Actually, the style and instrumentation reminds me of some of my own work. I especially like the cello line starting at 0:53.

I enjoyed following in the score, though that looks like it could be cleaned up a bit.

Keep up the good work.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hi Kevin
    Funny coincidence: Last week I went to see a documentary of a friend about Truffaut at the film festival in Locarno....
    I really like your piece. Only one thing: I would lower the volume of the pizzis a bit.
    Here you can find a couple of impulses (wave-files) to play around with. (8.9 MB)

ftp://213.189.138.53/impulses.zip
    rené

Red face Re: Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

Good point, Rene. I posted this before heading off to bed in the wee hours last night. In the cold light of the mid-afternoon, I agree that the plucked strings need to go back a little. I’ve also tweaked the balances on the piano and bass flute a bit and added a tiny bit of lower emphasis on the plucked strings in moving them back. Also, the new version at the top of the page (the row highlighted in sea blue) uses the “chapel" Impulse from the package that you cited above (and thanks for that -- always good to have more resources!).

Folks can listen to both versions if they want and express opinions and suggestions are welcome, as usual.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What is it with all of you on this forum? Why must you be so gifted? Where do I find the spark that so Heavenly shines from your music? Can I ever hope to be so free as to learn thus grow with my feelings as well as the rest of you?

Kevin, However so simple, this is enormously beautiful and emotionally moving.
    Don't change anything...not one instrument, not one moment of time.
    I cannot add anything to what Styxx says.

Beautiful peice ...

With your permission, Harriet and I will dance to this.

http://www.glynpowell.pwp.blueyonder...Glyn_Zenda.jpg

I'm the male in the foreground of the picture.

Best wishes

Glyn Powell.

Just listened, but I'm not sure to your older link or newer link -- was about to say what someone already said, that the pizz is too strong. Imagining real players with this, in that nervous rigidity string players get when they must play pizzicato slowly but in good rhythm -- might be easier for them, if you plan for this to be live someday, to add more notes, quiet, with accents for the louder notes. Just an idea -- it's a beautiful piece as is.

Talking Re: Chamber/minimalism: Waiting for Truffaut

Thanks, Glyn. Stunning ballroom picture -- reminds me of the "subdued" costumes in that wonderful "Strictly Ballroom" film. (And you don't need my permission to dance to anything that's out there in "public"!)

Not to be defensive, Gugliel, but nothing that I write is concerned at present with much further than what it is (i.e., performance by live players). What I wanted to explore in this piece yesterday was the simplicity of just a handful of lines without a lot of clutter and complexity (which some might say that I'm prone to). Spare, open, with hopefully interesting intertwinings and more subtleties than things "in your face". By the way, the links are to the same page. The distinction (as noted there) is that the upper entry represents the "newer" version. (I'm a LIFO kinda guy -- oops! that's an inside computer joke -- "Last In, First Out" -- which means whatever is on top is the latest.)

At the suggestion of Rene/fmfgs, I pushed the pizz string group back a bit. I also did some velocity adjustments on the piano to take away most of the "sting" and then, as noted, substituted the "Chapel" impulse for the previous "concert hall 2".

Thanks to all for your comments and observations (so far)!

LATE WORD: (19Aug 2:45PM Hawaii time) The piece just went #1 on AcidPlanet in the Cinematic/Soundtrack category (which I've never busted into before!) here .
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 08-19-2004 at 08:11 PM. Reason: updating info

Go Back to forum