• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Guide to MIDI Orchestration Book

Castle Rock, Colorado

Question OT: Guide to MIDI Orchestration Book

Does anyone have an earlier version of this and if so, can you share any thoughts about it? Good resource? No?

Front Cover Pic of Guide

It looks like a great resource, but at $69.95 I thought I would check.

Re: OT: Guide to MIDI Orchestration Book

I have the original book which I've been reading lately - I think it is helpful but, I have a feeling that since the new version is about 3 times as large the two are probably not comperable - and the new version is cheaper than a copy of the old one from Border.com... . I'd bet it will be money well spent but, then again I really have never heard of Gilreth besides this book... .
    Tom Martin

I would look at it this way. If I were to hire someone for 1 hour to talk to me about orchestration I am sure I would burn $70 easily. Given this is version three, it must be reasonably good.

version three should be very good. II have edition 2 I believe, and I felt it was quite a bit behind the times for when I bought it, but Edition 3 will have pretty much up to date stuff, as well as lot of more helpful tips from just about everyone who knows anything about MIDI orchestration. Should be a good buy.

All that said, I should mention, I haven't read edition 3 yet
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Go Back to forum