• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I 'Combine' several individual GS instruments into 'one' Gig File?

Share/Bookmark

How do I \'Combine\' several individual GS instruments into \'one\' Gig File?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to (or if it is even possible) to take several giga instruments at a time and combine them into one *.gig file? I have a few Akai S-1000 format discs and when I use the S-Converter it turns every sound on the discs into their own individual gig file. For example:

Ambiant A.gig
    Ambiant 01.gig
    Ambiant 02.gig
    Ambiant 03.gig
    Ambiant 04.gig
    and so on....

Sounds 01-04 belong to the Ambiant A patch, therefore I am wanting to have only 1 gig file containing 4 patch variations, EX:

Load \"Ambiant A.gig\" and have...

00=Ambiant A
    01=Ambiant 01
    02=Ambiant 02
    03=Ambiant 03
    04=Ambiant 04

It would be so much easier to be able to load the one gig file containing the other four variations as opposed to loading all five individually, keeping in mind this is multiplied by all the sounds per disc, times several discs! Instead of loading 40 gig files at a time and it having all their variations included, I\'m having to load 100+ individual *.gig files per Akai CD just to audition the all sounds on each CD? HELP!!!

Re: How do I \'Combine\' several individual GS instruments into \'one\' Gig File?

Hi !

Why just don\'t you try this little program called \"KeySwitch\" from www.yellowtools.com.
    This can do the trick and you will be able to combine up to 8 instruments at one time.
    Really good idea.

greetings Hugbald (Berlin)

Re: How do I \'Combine\' several individual GS instruments into \'one\' Gig File?

You can use the editor to \'merge\' gig files together.

I haven\'t had the duplication problem you have, so I\'m not 100% sure of what will happen with the identical samples.

When you merge two files, the instruments end up in the same gig file - just as you need. With any luck, Gigastudio recognizes that it already has the same samples as it loads the new file, and ignores the samples - just loading the instrument definition.

Just keep merging until you have all of the versions in the same gig file, then save.

It\'s a very quick process.

Thanks for the replies! I think my previous post may be a bit confusing as to what I am wanting to acheive in doing AKAI to GS conversion from AKAI CD-ROMS...

I\'m wanting to convert the sounds on my AKAI discs into *.gig files THAT THEN contain the additional instrument variations within that \"ONE\" gig file instead of converting the \'primary\' sample as well as all the \'variations\' into several individual gig files? This is what the included S-Converter from Nemesys does and it seems CDXtract does the same thing?

I have several AKAI discs with 40-50 patches on them that keep getting converted to 80-90-100+ separate gig files rather than 40-50 gig files that then have a couple or more \'like\' instuments within them?

For example, on the AKAI disc, it lists one sound as being \"Fretless Bass A\". The variations under \"Fretless Bass A\" are Fretless 01, 02, 03, 04. When I convert just \"Fretless Bass A\" and load it into Gigasampler, I do not have access to the containing patch variations 01-04 (by loading the patch on midi channel 1 and choosing patch 01, 02, 03, 04 via a sequencer). What S-Converter and CDXtract both seem to do is convert all 5 of these, then I have to load all 5 individually into GS, then I have everything:

Fretless Bass A.gig (approx 2mb)
    Fretless Bass 01.gig (approx 1mb)
    Fretless Bass 02.gig (approx 1mb)
    Fretless Bass 03.gig (approx 1mb)
    Fretless Bass 04.gig (approx 1mb)

Sounds 01-04 belong to the Fretless Bass A patch, therefore I am wanting to have only 1 gig file (albeit a larger file in size) containing 4 patch variations,

EX: Load \"Fretless Bass A.gig\" and have...

bank 00/patch 00=Fretless Bass A (approx 6mb that loads, then has the following variations from the AKAI disc)
    bank 00/patch 01=Fretless Bass 01
    bank 00/patch 02=Fretless Bass 02
    bank 00/patch 03=Fretless Bass 03
    bank 00/patch 04=Fretless Bass 04

I\'m wanting to be able to load the one gig file containing the other four variations as opposed to loading all five individually! Instead of loading 40-50 gig files at a time and it having all their variations included, I\'m having to load 100+ individual *.gig files to access all sounds from an Akai CD after conversion!

I\'m using S-Converter v1.0 and do not see any \'merge\' commands so maybe that is something new? Also, I\'m not wanting to layer the sounds or play them all at once, and I\'m hope there\'s a utility out there that can do this so I don\'t have to rebuild all instruments from scratch from the wav\'s.

The new version of CDXtract has combining features, I think that it\'s an $80 download from www.cdxtract.com .

If you’re still using GigaSampler, you can’t do any combining. You need to upgrade to GigaStudio.

With the GigaStudio Editor (v2.0) you can drag all the instrument variations into one gig file. The sample data will not be duplicated.

Go Back to forum