• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it really usefull to upgrade from 2 to 3 hdds ?

Share/Bookmark

Is it really usefull to upgrade from 2 to 3 hdds ?

Hi, I have two hdds in my pc ( 200 gb 8.5 ms for the os and programms and 120 gb 8.5 ms 8 mb cache for samples). I ask myself , how much more performance would a third harddisk give me ? Just as much as the second harddisk (the sample dedicated hdd) ?

Re: Is it really usefull to upgrade from 2 to 3 hdds ?

I realise that it's a no-no to put samples on the same drive as your system, but are you really using 200 GB for the OS and applications? My Giga box uses 10 GB for the OS and Apps and that is more than enough.

What about switching your drives?

Use the 120 for OS and Apps and the 200 for samples. That should give you quite a bit more space for samples.

No, I don't use 200 gb ;-) ( I use about 30 gb)

I experienced that a dedicated disk only for samples give me a huge performance boost, so I wonder how much performance do I gain again with a third audio/sample dedicated harddisk. Can I use almost twice as much voices ( ewqsl and kompakt with diskstreaming) with two dedicatet sample disks ? or can I use only ( for example) 20% more ?

Just out of a safty factor, I would recommend you get a SMALLER drive for the samples. They bigger they are, the thinner the actual disks are, and more prone to going out (I have not had this problem but have heard about it). I would say get an 80GB one for samples. Or, if not, partition those suckers.

James W.G. Smith

a good one - don't know where you've read this information, but whereas you find more platterns in large harddrives, they are not thinner. also partitioning is not always a good idea - simultaneous access to both partitions will force the heads to heavy movements (between inner and outer partition).
    basically 2 disks give you a better overall throughput than 1, especially for the type of access software samplers need.
    christian

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The more you split up the work, the better performance you'll get.

For instance, if you're pulling orchestral parts off of one drive, and a full-fisted piano part off another, you'll get better overall throughput.

The drive itself is generally going to be the bottleneck, as any modern bussing structure will maintain a lot fatter stream of data than a drive can deliver.

You could also set up a RAID. Personally, I find that just splitting different libraries logically across mulitple disks increases my performance.

Exclamation Re: Is it really usefull to upgrade from 2 to 3 hdds ?

"I realise that it's a no-no to put samples on the same drive as your system".

I never understood that point, my understanding is that with sufficient Ram, which normally DAWS should have, the operating system is all loaded in memory and no paging of files occurs. So having samples on the system drive should be no problem. I understand that there should be a separate drive for recording audio as this adds extra activity to the already hard working sample drive.

In case I got things wrong here, please enlighten me.
    Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by christian marin
    a good one - don't know where you've read this information, but whereas you find more platterns in large harddrives, they are not thinner. also partitioning is not always a good idea - simultaneous access to both partitions will force the heads to heavy movements (between inner and outer partition).
    basically 2 disks give you a better overall throughput than 1, especially for the type of access software samplers need.
    christian
    I think I read it at the TASCAM website.

Cornelius,

Just make sure your power supply can handle it. A Good 400 + Watt supply runs my 4 Hard Drive Maxtor 200 Gig 7200RPM drives. I combine Video capture and Music so the byte space is needed along with the workspace for editing.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

All newer HD models should need less than 10W per drive, so I don't think the power supply there is a problem when adding another drive.

Go Back to forum