• Register
  • Help

Topic: Appalachian Spring mock up

Share/Bookmark

Appalachian Spring mock up

Hi there.

Had some spare time for once, last night, so I thought it was about time I had a bash at realising an orchestral piece and actually have a bash at using GPO.

This is the first time I've done an orchestral mockup since I did my A level Music Technology 10 years ago, but seeing as i teach pupils sequencing for their A levels now, i thought it was about time I tried to do an orchestral piece again!

I had 4 instances of GPO running for Strings, Woodwind and Percussion.
    The Brass is Project SAM running in Halion.
    The piano is PMI Bosendorfer VSTi.

This obviously isn't the entire piece, I only had 4 hours to do it in, but I will probably go back and possibly do the complete work at some time.

I'm not too happy with Brass Tutti section yet, but I haven't had time to alter articulations yet.

Anyhow, any comments good or bad would be much appreciated as this is the first time I've posted an MP3 on this board.

The link is:

http://www.chethams.com/AJH/AppSpring.mp3

Cheers
    Adrian

Thumbs up Re: Appalachian Spring mock up

I'm not too happy with Brass Tutti section yet, but I haven't had time to alter articulations yet.
    I am not quite certain what you are not happy with here. I thought it came rather close to many performances of recorded orchestras. In fact, the whole piece come remarkably close to what I have in my collection.
    I would say you did a fine job "mocking up" Appalachian Spring. Did you take this right off a score?
    Styxx

Re: Appalachian Spring mock up

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I am not quite certain what you are not happy with here. I thought it came rather close to many performances of recorded orchestras. In fact, the whole piece come remarkably close to what I have in my collection.
    I would say you did a fine job "mocking up" Appalachian Spring. Did you take this right off a score?
    Hi Styxx

thanks for the kind words. Yes it was done from a score. I'm just not to happy on the brass articulation in that brass tutti section. i'm sure with a bit of work I can improve. I am a trumpeter though, so I tend to be fussy with brass!

Cheers

Adrian

Thumbs up Re: Appalachian Spring mock up

I am a trumpeter though, so I tend to be fussy with brass!
    And fussy you should be when it comes to the sound of your primary instrument. I took Brass Technique in College and can appreciate your proficiency. Trumpet is a very beautiful and challenging instrument to master. I am the same way with percussion. The attack must coincide with the left hand and right hand strokes or it drives me insane.
    Anyway, love to hear the rest. Nice work. (and that's two thumbs up!)
    Styxx

Very nice Adrian! I have a few ideas for you if I may? There are alot of instrument samples where the initial attack is created immediately upon hitting the note however, because of the swelling of the sound, they sound as though they are lagging behind time relative to each other. I always play in the parts for these "lagging" instruments and time shift that entire midi track forward somewhat until it sounds right, then I fix individual notes that aren't quite right. Of course this "lagging" isn't a problem if this sound is used alone, it's only when other instruments have a sharper quicker attack, and are setting the tempo that cause there to be timing issues. Take a close listen to the violas when they come in at @ 2:35, the rest of the strings also need to be shifted forward to sound nice and tight. Just my .02, but if you try these I'm sure you will agree, Another thing to try is to overlap many of the notes for strings because there is dead space between the notes. GPO has a feature where you can hold the sustain pedal down while "playing in" these notes, it connects the notes with a much more realistic sound. Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your rendition, but these are things that can be changed to make it all that much better, and easy to do if you use a sequencer. Great job though!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Take a close listen to the violas when they come in at @ 2:35, the rest of the strings also need to be shifted forward to sound nice and tight. Just my .02, but if you try these I'm sure you will agree, Another thing to try is to overlap many of the notes for strings because there is dead space between the notes. GPO has a feature where you can hold the sustain pedal down while "playing in" these notes, it connects the notes with a much more realistic sound. Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your rendition, but these are things that can be changed to make it all that much better, and easy to do if you use a sequencer. Great job though!
    Dan
    Thanks for the critique DPDan.

If I had spent more time on it (or rather had more time to spend on it!) then I normally would have done overlapping for the strings and spent some time nudge them back and forward to get the attacks to swell at the rioght place. I also tried the pedalling technique with GPO, but it appears that my sustain pedal is feeling sorry fo itself and not always sending data. Guess I'll have to get the soldering iron out!!!

Someday (hopefully in the not to distant future) I will tidy the sequence up and hopefully add the rest of it as well.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Adrian

I got a kick out of your statement,
    "I guess the sustain pedal is feeling sorry for itself"

It is obvious by the detail that you put into the rest of the piece that your ears are keen, is that even a word? Oh well, I'm just glad to offer what advice I can. My Dad says, "the best thing about advice is that you can take it or leave it".
    Thanks Adrian!

One hell of an amazing effort I thought. The brass doesn't sound that bad. Excellent!

Go Back to forum