• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Sibelius

Anyone know how to get Sibelius and GPO working together so that GPO responds to patch changes?

For instance, how can you get the sound to change on a string line from arco to pizzicato? I fear the answer is to have redundant staves for each sound you want to use and hide them when not in use. But that isn't a proper use of any notation program where the aim is to get a score that displays naturally and properly. Messing about like that with a score says to me why aren't you using a sequencer?

This is simple enough with the inbuilt Kontakt player or any outboard gear that responds to patch change messages. Why not so with GPO studio that supports notation programs?

Re: GPO and Sibelius

You're right. Any patches which aren't available as a keyswitch need to be put on separate tracks. I'd recommend making a separate score for playback which includes any necessary data for optimum performance. This will keep your notation only score clean for future use.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by composermark
    Anyone know how to get Sibelius and GPO working together so that GPO responds to patch changes?

For instance, how can you get the sound to change on a string line from arco to pizzicato? I fear the answer is to have redundant staves for each sound you want to use and hide them when not in use. But that isn't a proper use of any notation program where the aim is to get a score that displays naturally and properly. Messing about like that with a score says to me why aren't you using a sequencer?
    Well, your situation is a great example of why I use Sonar when playback is the issue, and Sibelius only for notation. With Sonar, creating audio is a breeze. But depending on what you are doing, you might not need as expensive a sequencer as Sonar. Home Studio might work, but if you are doing counterpoint, fugues, Home Studio is not useful. I am not sure about Overture SE, have not really worked at it because Sonar suits my needs. I have no idea how Overture handles tuplets, augmentation, etc. I would like to know, but don't want to take the time just now to learn.

In the next update there will be keyswitching so you won't have to have redundant staves. You'll be able to do many of your patch changes in the same staff.

Gary Garritan

Hi!
    These are great news, Gary!
    One of my top-asked feature for my loved GPO ;-) !
    Cant' wait for the next update!
    Keep on your good work.
    Regards,
    Gil.

Gary,
    Any chance of greater integration between Sibelius and GPO in the next update in terms of ease of accessing different sounds (along the lines of how Sibelius currently works with Kontakt Gold or how Overture and GPO work together?)
    - robjohn

Rob john,

Perhaps so. Much depends on the folks at Sibelius. We are planning more updates to GPO Studio that will allow more capabilites and tools for notation program users.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    Gary,
    Any chance of greater integration between Sibelius and GPO in the next update in terms of ease of accessing different sounds (along the lines of how Sibelius currently works with Kontakt Gold or how Overture and GPO work together?)
    - robjohn

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    In the next update there will be keyswitching so you won't have to have redundant staves. You'll be able to do many of your patch changes in the same staff.

Gary Garritan
    Gary,

Great news! Do you have a 'target' for when the next update is expected to be released?

Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Gary,

Great news! Do you have a 'target' for when the next update is expected to be released?

Thanks,
    Wes
    Disregard...I saw the answer in another post.

Thanks Mr. G.

I'm a notation die-hard and anything that will expand it's notation functionality is good news for me.

By the way, is it possible to access GPO studio from Sonar's primitive notation window? I'm looking to buy Sonar 3 (or 4 when it arrives) and was curious.

Thanks.

Go Back to forum