• Register
  • Help

Topic: short brass quartet

Share/Bookmark

short brass quartet

A short post-battle-ish song. I'm very satisfied with the melodies and automation on the volume. I noticed that I have a "problem", I find it hard to make pieces that are longer than 3 minutes. Anyways, feedback is appreciated, as allways.

http://www.geocities.com/tryti88/brass2_3.mp3

Btw, I thought about naming this song "fallen foes, fallen friends", but I don't know if I can have a comma in a title.

-Ivar Tryti

Re: short brass quartet

Well, the link didn't work for me and I don't see why you can't have a comma in a title. You could use a / . For example; "fallen socks / fallen arches".

I am sure the link works fine. It's just that where I work it is funny sometimes unless some one else experiences the same problem.
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: short brass quartet

The link worked fine, Ivar.

As far as length of your pieces, sometimes it just takes time for one to aggregate musical ideas. I think you have a nice start here and I would recommend that you sit back and consider "where" the piece might go with that start -- in other words, variations and development. Also, to me, what you have here is straining for a couple of other elements: a few dramatic "spaces" in the action and some additional underscoring instruments. (For example, some supporting strings in a repeat would bring additional character to your statements; a well-placed bass drum might signal "finality", etc.)

In general, I would have to comment also that for a "lament" piece, the levels are way up. This sort of piece works better when you make the listener slightly strain to hear it (particularly the beginning and then end, I've found).

I hope this helps ... regards ... KevinKauai

P.S. The "file name" of a piece need not be the exact title -- especially where punctuation and URL naming restrictions clash. (I was trying to bring an MP3 file called something like "Etude #3.mp3" into one of my websites and FrontPage kept complaining about "illegal URL -- file not imported" until I removed the "#". Turns out -- duh! -- that "#" is the URL character for a bookmark within a page!) Also I would encourage you to stick on the MP3 "tags" claiming copyright. It's a good habit to get into. (Generally, whatever you are using to derive the MP3 will have a "properties" item -- typically reached by a right mouse click -- where you can set "title", "composer", "copyright" and the like.)

Thumbs up Re: short brass quartet

Well, now there ya go. The link worked fine in my studio.
    I agree with Kevin.
    Yet, I must say you did a fine job harmonizing. I would love to hear you expand on this idea more.

Nice work and good to have your talent aboard.
    Styxx

Re: short brass quartet

Another keeper Ivar. I don't know. I like the overall level of the piece. Some are too low for my tastes. Of course I listen to everything loud, so loud my ears bleed and lament. Anyways, sounds like its panned too much to the left to me, but I aint listening on $3000 monitors either and this is causing some clipping in the left channel.

Go Back to forum