• Register
  • Help

Topic: giga pulse workflow implications

Question giga pulse workflow implications

I guess now with a gigapulse AND gigaVST one can consider mixing directly out of gigain your main daw in one pass!. without giga VST i would be a bit wary of summing large pieces directly in giga but it can be done, cpu permitting.
    but i would imaging there would be times you want your tracks dry then add gigapulse. you would have feed it back into giga ( gisf2 card) then come back into your seqencer daw this i might imaging may be awkward IE latency issues ect.
    anyone have any thoughts on this?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: giga pulse workflow implications

The total latency of a direct lightpipe connection from your DAW to Giga and back might be less than the latency from a set of mid-field monitors at the mix podepending upon the quality of your hardware.

So if, say, you're set up with 8 channels of lightpipe i/o, you could make that work pretty well--keeping things in the virtual realm until you've gotten far enough to commit to the ambient blend, then piping it over.

The only case where I would consider the latency a possible issue is very tight groove work. But even in that case, you could easily compute the latency you'd taken on, select the resulting tracks, and move them back in time a few milliseconds.

GigaPulse's latency is not physically detectable when playing. The response feels no different to me from the keyboard with or without it. So, the integration should be very possible in your situation.

And I think the GigaPulse VST would likely solve your issues of wanting to print dry tracks, if that were your preference. That's really its purpose. If you didn't want to go there, provided your hardware cuts it, you'd have a fairly convenient workaround, still.

Re: giga pulse workflow implications

I'd imagine that one could work with GigaPulse in GS when noodling, then capture to wav dry. GS3 allows multiple tracks to be captured to wav in a single pass now, so it's not as tedious as it used to be. I can't recall the limit. I remember reading that it was eight, but I also recall somebody saying that the limit was higher. This method can remove any latencies for the first pass, and frees up resources for more effects.

It seems that there are good solutions for people with a single machine with a stereo output, as well as for people with multiple machines and lightpipes and/or Gigabit LAN (using the Max's product).

Go Back to forum