• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: demo

Share/Bookmark

Talking demo

Hi all

I am not a GPO user but thats just a matter of time.

But I do have a piece that I wrote using GOS lite (too old fashioned!) but wasnt sure if I can post it here.

I am an amateur and dont have formal training in orchestration.
    but rather through listening and reading scores.
    So I was wondering if anyone could point out faults in my piece.
    here it is!
    www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~ankumar/TheHack1.MP3

I am even embarassed to show this but unless I come put in the open
    I would never know what could be wrong with my work!

Thanks so much in advance!

Oh! I actually almost forgot to thank Garritan for improving the quality of our musical lives so much!

cheers

Talking Re: demo

Ah I forgot to mention.

You may notice that the opening theme will resemble that of a mvmt from a well known symphony :-).
    (But thats where my piece ends I guess )

thanks

Thumbs up Re: demo

Hi, trem!

I like the piece. (Is it the "funeral march" movement that you are slightly parodying?) Your counterpoint it terrific considering what you said about your composition background. The themes are nicely balanced and while a tad on the "traditional" side, the elements come together very nicely, I think.

I, too, started out with GOS/Lite and quickly added GPO (especially after pricing out some of the competing "add-on" products like Dean's Brass and Woodwind packages).

One of my only criticisms of you piece is that you don't quite seem to have a "program level" for the loudest portions of your piece and as a result, all of the levels which are lower than that are really way too low.

The piece as a composition is quite nice and the orchestration for the most part, is quite good (in my humble opinion). I listened to it twice.

You will really fly with GPO!

KevinKauai

Re: demo

Kevin

thanks much for listening. Acutally I got it from the second mvmt of the Beethoven's seventh sypmhony. Of course the theme itself is so commonplace so I thought it would be interesting to develop on it.

GPO is on top of my wish list. I am waiting to do my computer upgrade before that.

thanks for listening again and the comments.

There are a lot of imbalances in the volume levels. For example the oboe enters too loud at come point. I'll try to incorporating your comments!

I am an amateur and dont have formal training in orchestration.
    Hey! For not having training in orchestration this is quite good! Man, I remember my first piece I laughed so hard but that's hasn't left me yet. You're on your way. I have GOS lite and still can't figure it out.
    Styxx

tremolo, I listen to this very quickly. I’m at work and am listening through terrible speakers and have 3 computer fans running around me so I was not able to hear it as well as I would like, but I did like what I heard. I’ll agree with what Kevin said in that the volume of whole thing seemed a little low.

One of the reasons I’m writing now instead of when I get home is to say I’ve received influence from the same source you did. Here is a recent thread I put up: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23443

The music I posted there, the second movement of a piece I’m doing called St. George and the Dragon, was influenced by B.’s seventh symphony, second movement. Where you took the theme and developed it in your own direction, I took my own theme and used it in a similar way as to what Beethoven did. I had the idea of what I wanted to do and one day was listening and there was a prototype already created for me. If you steal, steal from the best. And it helps if they were deaf……
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Trent

thats very interesting....listened to your piece too! and I felt that your piece has more more resemblence with that great movement. I was merely trying to take the opening theme and develop on it.

As for the volume, I have posted a new version with a few dB amplification.
    But it is hard to get the full dynamic range audible unless you use a headphone
    with amplifier. Hope you enjoy more the next time you listen!

thanks!

Just listened to it at home with headphones on and I do like it better - I can hear more of the instrumentation you are using. The strings are a lot louder than the other instruments most of the time, which I think is what you were aiming for since the string parts seem to be the most important.

What are using for the winds? They don't sound bad but I'm sure you will be very happy with GPO.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that only a little over a week later somebody else posted something at least partially inspired by the second movement of Beethoven's seventh even if you did do the exact oppiste of what I tried to do.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Anyway, I thought it was interesting that only a little over a week later somebody else posted something at least partially inspired by the second movement of Beethoven's seventh even if you did do the exact oppiste of what I tried to do.
    Trent

Yes very interesting indeed!

I used some very cheap/free soundfonts for the woodwinds.
    Believe me I can't wait to get my hands on GPO!
    But with an 8660mhz-500Mb laptop, I guess I need to get a difft computer!

best wishes
    anand
    Last edited by tremolo; 08-20-2004 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

tremolo,

You did an excellent job with GOS lite. Of course you can post yor work here and I hope being here will be a good learning experience for you.

I never would have guessed you did not have formal training (although your Harvard server address is curious). Compositionally, I thought your piece was very good. I'm glad you posted it and I hope we can hear more of your work.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast