• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Programming Left Handed Violinists vs Right Handed Violinists

Share/Bookmark

Programming Left Handed Violinists vs Right Handed Violinists

All,
    I am working on my first piece with GPO and have found it to be very challenging to mimic a left handed violinist vs a right handed violinist via MIDI. As you all know, the subtle differences can greatly enhance a piece, especially if the person listening has the same primary hand as the performer.

Does anyone have any tips to help me accomplish this?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Programming Left Handed Violinists vs Right Handed Violinists

This is a joke, correct?

The answer is very simple -
    Use a mirror!
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

I play violin a bit and would probably take the Jimi Hendricks approach and turn everything upsidown.
    Styxx

JIMI !!!!!!
    Wait a minute, where's my lighter fluid?
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Hmmm....I didn't think this would cause so much confusion. I'll try to clarify.

As all of you know, due to the differences in left handed and right handed violinists, there are (admittidly) subtle differences in how a piece is performed and how the violin sounds. For instance, the Ignome theory demonstrates a definite pattern of harmonic differences in the upper and lower ranges of the violin depending on whether the primary hand for the player is left or right.

For instance, if a left handed violinist plays a piece by Bach (who was right handed) and it is listened to by a person who is right handed, certain playing techniques will be effected and all harmonics (that deliver the lush quality of the violin) will not register for the listener. Additionally, if the player is right handed, the composer right handed and the listener is right handed, everything falls into place and an excellent harmonic soundscape can be enjoyed. (I know I am leaving out the significant issue of the recording engineer being left or right handed, but the math gets difficult for me.) What has always baffled me is how a left handed player, left handed composer and left handed listener combination does not create the equivalent experience. I can only attribute this to the limitations of left handed players.

I'd like to be able to capture these differences, but it has elluded me. I know that I can somewhat imitate the harmonic patterns, through MIDI automation of a multi bandpass filter. The tougher issue is imitating the technical performance. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.

Currently, I am working on the following pieces, each being unique as described below:

Pachabel's Canon with a left handed player (Pachabel was right handed)

Pachabel's Canon with a right handed player (Optimal experience if you are right handed)

Copland's Appalachian Spring, (adagio) with a right handed player (Copeland was left handed)
    Copland's Appalacian Spring, (adagio) with a left handed player and recorded by a right handed engineer (This will take more time due to the obvious increase in technical difficulty.)

I am always looking for information on what primary hand a composer had. If you have any information on any composers please let me know.
    (Hayden is still unknown and believe it or not Mozart is also unknown, though I personally am convinced he was left handed.) Or, if you have any thoughts on the subject, I'd be glad to hear them. I can post some URLs to some sites dedicated to the study of primary hand influence on string execution theories.

Thanks again for any help!

-Kevin
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I know I overslept this morning, but I hadn't realized I'd slept all the way to April 1st!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Kevin, this sounds ever so subtle doesn't it?....Surely you wouldn't be able to hear this ever, except perhaps as a solo? Still, you know best!

Frank

Very true, Frank, though I must say there is more influence than, say, violinists who are near-sighted vs far sighted. I won't even bring up players who have straight versus curly hair, the permutations on that particular combination really do overwhelm me. I have found it near impossible to find the perfect combination.

For instance, if I were to compare a left handed female with long, straight blonde hair who is near sighted versus a right handed male with curly brown hair and a lazy eye and a hangnail on his left (not right) pinkie finger, it would take months just to figure out what to expect musically from each individual.

Of course, I could just sit down and listen...hmmmm...fascinating...

-Kevin

Very Good! Had me going anyway.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Go Back to forum