• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

Share/Bookmark

Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

This little piece is yet another tribute to Steve Reich, John Adams and Philip Glass (and any other symphonic minimalists that I've heard along the way). This little ditty started life as a simple 8-bar percussive piano figure in ¾ time. Along the way, it morphed into a 48-bar phrase, which then gets “the treatment” 4 times at a rock-steady 144 beats per minute.

It's "As Yet Untitled, August 19, 2004" and is now on the top of the list here.

Bonus points for the first person who can identify where the phrase "hideous kinky" comes from. To me, it is warranted for this piece because it uses the piano (my first embracing of the GPO Steinway) and several other percussive chromatic instruments as very percussive weapons! You've been warned.

KevinKauai

Thumbs up Re: Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

Yes Kevin pretty neat! Was it intentional to have a polyrhythmic motive (3 against 4) throughout? I could play it while listening. Very nice. One would think you are a percussionist (or a concussionsist)
    Styxx

Re: Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

it's the title of a book and i think a film or tv drama.
    liked the piece, but i'm a sucker for this style. wish i could write in it.

slán
    mick ó c

For being something I wouldn't normally listen to I really enjoyed this. Very melodic I thought.

Kevin,

I really like this piece. You've got this genre down!

More, more!

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Kevin

I thought your piece was sophisticated and vibrant, altho I havent heard much of Glass.
    I was wondering if certain woodwind sounds are being submerged by the percussion and if that was deliberate? Also at some point I hear a faint stopped horn, and felt it would enhance the music further if it were a bit louder. Of course you might have intended it to be the way it is.

Overall, a very intense piece altho apparently repetitive!

best
    anand

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai

Bonus points for the first person who can identify where the phrase "hideous kinky" comes from. To me, it is warranted for this piece because it uses the piano (my first embracing of the GPO Steinway) and several other percussive chromatic instruments as very percussive weapons! You've been warned.

KevinKauai
    hideous kinky:
    What do you want? You can watch it as a movie (Gillies MacKinnon 1998), read it as a Novel from Esther Freud:
    Hideous Kinky begins as a small, cheerful autobiographical novel following Thurber's variation on Wordsworth: "Humor is emotional chaos recollected in tranquillity." In the mid-1960s, two girls, ages 5 and 7, travel with their mother from London to Marrakech. Also along for the ride are John, Mum's boyfriend, and Maretta, John's wife. Though the author is a descendant of Sigmund Freud, the title of her first book has little to do with the pleasure principle. Instead, it is the only phrase the sisters have heard Maretta speak, one that quickly becomes an all-purpose epithet: "One of the shepherds whistled and the dogs slung to the ground. Bea raised an eyebrow as she passed me. 'Hideous kinky,' she whispered." (from amazon)
    That said I like your piece - besides the snare rolls that brings in a "military touch" for me and is announcing something what's not coming.. If thats what you want - fine. If not, I recomend trying some other drums...
    rené

Thumbs up Re: Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

Kevin,

Sometimes I listen "Music for 18 musicians" from Steve Reich. Very unusual and interesting music.

Your piece is also unusual, refreshing and appealing. I really like it.

Unfortunatly the snare burst my bubble. Perhaps the alternation of varied use of tubular bells, gong, timbale instead of the snare could enforce the bubble. Well, I had to say...

It's nice to upload 32K files quickly for low connection users.

SergeD

Talking Re: Hideous kinky: my first totally GPO piece

Thanks for the suggestions and observations so far.

I've taken another whack at it, and posted a second version in the usual place. As is my custom, the latest is on top, this time hightlighted in yellow. As usual, there is an MP3 version (at higher-fi 160K) and a WMA (at 56K).

The major change in this version is to dial back the snare rolls and snaps a bit. There were two comments about those and I think I've stumped on a cultural different between Europe and the US: Europe ears tend to associate snares with things military, whereas, to my US naivete, it's just another percussion instrument.

Anyway ... continued comments and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks ... KevinKauai

LATE WORD: Decided to go ahead and publish as "Einstein's Clocks - Symphonic Trance 2004-5" ("they don't go 'tock-tock'") on AcidPlanet, Ampcast, and Broadjam, .
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 08-21-2004 at 05:30 PM. Reason: update title

Go Back to forum