• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory Question

Memory Question

My Asus motherboard has 4 DDR slots which now has 2x512MB PC3200 DDR ram in Dual Channel mode = 1GB. I am planning to upgrade. I can only afford up to a 1GB upgrade. Would it be better to upgrade using a 1GB DDR stick of memory knowing I will lose the dual channel mode and have it all running in single mode but with the option to further upgrade in the future with another 1GB stick of memory so I will have 2X512 and 2X1GB = 3GB in dual mode...

just upgrade to 2X512 so I will have a total of 2GB in dual channel mode?

How important is dual channel mode? I am using gigastudio and I know of its 1GB limitation, but I was wondering if I would need more memory over 2GB for other applications, audio recording etc...?

What would you do?

Smile Re: Memory Question

Figuring you can buy 2 good quality sticks of DDR 3200 512 MB for $150 vs. 1 GB stick for $200+ of simular quality...I would opt for the improved dual channel performance...2 GB of ram is pretty good at running most everything. Upgrade to more later when a new version of Windows (64 bit?) can really take advantage of the extra memory over 2 GB.

Just my 2 cents.
    Edward W. Trevino
    Dandlewood Productions

Re: Memory Question

Thanks for your opinion. Actually 2X512 is the same price as 1GB where I am going to buy it. So what's the word on Windows 64 bit when is the full OS to be released. I haven't researched it much but I heard 2006, I may be wrong. I think they have a beta version for download.

Go Back to forum