• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm a dolt and I'm lost.... and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Share/Bookmark

Angry I'm a dolt and I'm lost.... and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Hey I bought giga160 over a year ago and started from scratch building the system from the ground up. I also picked up several librarys and sonar XL to put everything together. My problem is I just now figured out how to get a very basic recording from giga into a wave file but now I want to start editing my songs and aparently either my audio card is the devil or sonar bites because I can only play the giga files via my windows media player. I want to figure out how to make sonar read my files so I can start layering the tracks together into something cohesive. I have several problems, 1) I can not run giga and sonar same time because it always gives me the warning that my audio drives are already in use and asks to disable them... 2) I also have several Kontact player interface thingy's such as the PMI bosi and stormdrum, I can not record anything from them at all.... 3) I can not seem to edit any of my files. I can not figure out how to trigger samples for my midi files I wrote. If anyone has the patience to explain any or all this to me I'd really appriciate it.

if you need the info until reccently I had 2 comps one for giga 1 for sonar
    (that never worked at all so I just put sonar on my giga system for now) that system is a 2.4 gig P4 with 2 gig ram, I'm using echo audio mia audio card and my controller is a midi man radium. running everything on Xp Pro.

shoot me now.... Seth
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: I'm a dolt and I'm lost.... and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

You know, probably, that Tascam recommends starting Sonar from within Gigastudio? That works fine for me, though I can also get things going by starting them independantly. To configure sonar from within GS, you go to 'Settings - General' and set the Sequencer to find Sonar. Then you start GS, and push the little button with notes on it to start your sequencer.

This is probably too basic for you, but if you say what else is wrong maybe somebody can help.

seems your soundcard has 8 virtual outputs.

So make sure sonar is using one stereo pair (ex. 1,2) and Giga is using any outputs but 1,2.

Then you got to set up the midi devices in sonar to recognize your Gigastudio.

Set up a track in Sonar, set its source to giga. set the track's channel to the channel you have the instrument loaded in within Giga (e.g. violin loaded in Giga ch.2...sonar track has to be set to ch. 2).

You should get sound. Speakers are on?

Write your music.

Use Giga's capture function.

Import that wave into Sonar.

You're set to go.

Quote Originally Posted by žeth
    I want to figure out how to make sonar read my files so I can start layering the tracks together into something cohesive.
    Seth, If I understand you, you want to get GS rendered audio (.wav fles) into sonar. Here's how:
    1. Select an audio track
    2. Set NOW time to where you want the audio to start
    3. File->Import->Audio then select your GS .wav file

I have several problems, 1) I can not run giga and sonar same time because it always gives me the warning that my audio drives are already in use and asks to disable them...
    Make certain Sonar is targeting your Mia card.
    1. Options->Audio
    2. Set to Mia
    3. Run Wave Profiler
    2) I also have several Kontact player interface thingy's such as the PMI bosi and stormdrum, I can not record anything from them at all.... 3) I can not seem to edit any of my files. I can not figure out how to trigger samples for my midi files I wrote.
    Can you trigger GS with Sonar midi? Each Midi track in Sonar requires you to set a midi destinaton i.e. which sound module Sonar will send the midi to. I don't have Sonar in front of me so I can't tell you exactly what on the midi track to select - it should be fairly obvious though.

Seems there are a few things you are trying to correct here, so knock them off one at a time and post more question. Good luck.

hv

...I can not run giga and sonar same time because it always gives me the warning that my audio drives are already in use and asks to disable them...
    Tascam's told me the same thing that Marty said about GS not liking to share an audio port with anything. Though I've gotten away with it with some boards like Aarks and M-Audios. Safer to use different port pairs on a multi-port board.

If you havn't been running GS and Sonar at the same time, I suspect you might not be using Sonar to record your midi performances. Or configured Sonar to talk to GS. What you want to do is record in midi with Sonar while monitoring with GS. So you create a midi track in Sonar which gets it's input from the midi port connected to your keyboard. You monitor with GS by getting Sonar to echo it's midi output to the virtual midi port created by GS when you load it. Just make sure you go into "Options,MIDI Devices" and activate the virtual "NemeSys MidiOut Port 1" as well as the appropriate Midi input port. Then set the empty midi track to output to the NemeSys port before arming it and recording. And don't forget that GS should get it's input from Sonar, not the midi port... so in GS make sure Midi In Ports are all set to "<none>".

This approach will give you 2 ways to layer your performances. You can layer the Midi tracks you record. Or mute them and import the Wav's you create with GS into Sonar Audio tracks. As csduke described earlier. I usually keep it midi till I'm satisfied with the notes, timing, and rough velocities . Then play it into GS track by track while enabling GS recording to Wav which I pull in as audio tracks. And do envelopes, trimming, eq, effects, and final mixdowns in the Sonar audio domain.

There is one other little thing about GS capturing to Wav that you'll probably find helpful if you're not already aware of it. After you click the red recording button in GS, also make sure the little red button with the "b#" on it is enabled in the capture screen. This will cause GS to wait for a Midi start message before it actually begins capturing the wav file. When you click the other red button and specify the capture file name, GS should say "Audio capture waiting for sequencer". Over on the Sonar side, make sure that you configure it under "Options, Project, Sync" and check off "Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock". Then when you hit the Sonar "Play" button, it will trigger GS to start it's capture. And as long as you rewind Sonar to zero before playing each track, and do the same before importing, alignment will always be spot on.

Howard

Talking Re: I'm a dolt and I'm lost.... and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Not much longer now, guys. GS 3 will divide that process by at least five!

HURRY, TASCAM!!

Go Back to forum