• Register
  • Help

Topic: Demo: Maximizing Non-GPO samples

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Demo: Maximizing Non-GPO samples

Hi all,

As I can afford neither GPO nor a computer capable of running it well, I thought I would try something completely opposite to the current bigger-better-more trend in sampling: To make a piece using old/cheap samples, and to make them sound as good as possible through the use of controllers and creative composition.

Here is the first pass of my experiment--an unfinished piece called Lisa's Song.

http://lontas.no-ip.org/lisa.mp3

This piece uses the Orkester library that comes with Propellerheads' Reason, except for the oboe, which I programmed myself from a royalty-free oboe library. These are by no means in the same league as GPO or any of the other 'pro' libraries out there.

So far, there is very little expression in the piece, except some modulation in the oboe and a tiny bit of attack changes in the strings. My long-term goal is two-fold: to see how good I can make these samples sound, and to eventually move it into GPO for comparison. (Is there any kind of student discount on GPO?)

Obviously I'm biased, but I think it's going to turn out pretty well. I'd love to hear what you think of my experiment.

Chris

Re: Demo: Maximizing Non-GPO samples

Man this is one heck of an admiral effort. Sounds great for what you're using. I hope you get GPO, because then you'd be unstoppable. I'm pretty sure there's a student discount, don't quote me on that though. You might want to drop Gary an email and ask.

Chris,This is good.....There's only one thing more important than the samples and that's the way you use them....you've got to fiddle a bit. There are some fantastic sounfonts out there too....SBLIVE plus the KXproject drivers and a lot of tweaking patience will get you a long way. You're right though..this could have been improved considerably by using simple volume dynamics on each track.

Having said that I hope you can get hold of GPO as it really isn't that expensive compared with almost everything else.... including food.

Frank

Really nice piece! I've got Reason as well and I used Orkester a lot before I got GPO. I still use some of the string library from time to time. You can get quite a bit more expression and realism out of orchester, but it's a bit of a slog. Just keep working on your stuff. One day you'll get GPO, and while it's not totally straightforward, it's great fun importing your old pieces into GPO and making them really come alive.
    PS, no offence Hardy, but I wouldn't touch an SBlive! with a bargepole when you can get an Audiophile for £70 and a download free soundfont player.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    Really nice piece! I've got Reason as well and I used Orkester a lot before I got GPO. I still use some of the string library from time to time. You can get quite a bit more expression and realism out of orchester, but it's a bit of a slog. Just keep working on your stuff. One day you'll get GPO, and while it's not totally straightforward, it's great fun importing your old pieces into GPO and making them really come alive.
    PS, no offence Hardy, but I wouldn't touch an SBlive! with a bargepole when you can get an Audiophile for £70 and a download free soundfont player.
    Never mind about the Audiophile...you can get the superior EMU 0404 for the same price and it was this card that made M-Audio and Echo drop their prices for their nearly comparable products. The EMU 0404 does not have GSIF drivers however. The current SOS review of 0404 says its the greatest thing before the last greatest thing....which (apparently) was sliced bread.

BTW, you're music sucks! Well you did say that you liked to be told that!

regards

Frank

PS You can get an SBLive for less than $10.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    BTW, you're music sucks! Well you did say that you liked to be told that!
    Where's the smiley for 'weeps buckets, gives up music, becomes a cabbie and drinks self to death as a result of emotional trauma' when you need it.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    Where's the smiley for 'weeps buckets, gives up music, becomes a cabbie and drinks self to death as a result of emotional trauma' when you need it.
    Well, in that case, I think your music's lovely then!

Frank
    PS I do think you're over reacting!

I don't like the cabbie slur though!.... I'm a cabbie, my mother before me was a cabbie and her mother before me had a caddie....I think it had tea in it?

Well I'd say you've certainly gone as far as anyone working with Reason's 'Orkester' and it's an admirable effort--I like it! I hope you can secure the funds in the very near future to get a hold of GPO and watch your music making take off at warp speed. Good luck to you!

But the 'warm' reception that the Orkester gets on this forum puzzles me when many of you are so against the Edirol HQO (and some vehemently against!). Consider that HQO can get much better results, realism-wise than Orkester and that when you factor in the cost to purchase reason with this Orkester sound set they cost about the same.

I have been using it since it came out and still do. I have found that it matches well with just about any of the lower priced libraries especially GPO. I thought I might not ever touch it again after getting all this, but that has not been the case. It is priced too high to compete, but some retailers are selling it for 199.00. I would not hesitate for an instant as to whether one should buy it or GPO...it's obvious GPO gives you more and better, but I already own HQO as many already own Orkester/Reason. I've nothing against Reason, btw.

Just thought I'd interject that here. No intention to 'hijack' this thread!

Thanks for all your comments and criticism, guys! I didn't think the demo would be so well received in its early stages like this. Unfortunately, I won't be getting GPO anytime soon, as I would also have to get a whole new computer in order to run more than 2 or 3 instruments at a time. I'm in school for another year and a half, so I'll just have to be patient until then...

Hence, I am concentrating on using what I already have. Gradually I will be adding more and more expression to the piece, and I hope to post updates of my progress. Then, when it's all finished, I will "perform" it with GPO and compare the results. Not because I want to see which orchestral library 'wins', but because I just like making silly comparisons, I guess. (The one that 'wins' is going on my demo reel )

Go Back to forum