• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: If I get a midi keyboard

Share/Bookmark

If I get a midi keyboard

Any suggestions? It won't have a pedal, but what is a good one to use with Kontakt and Cubase for better legatos and staccatos?

The Edirol PCR-30?

Mark

Re: If I get a midi keyboard

It won't have a pedal? =\

You should really try to get a keyboard with a pedal.

I dont have the space for anything too large to set up you see. Isn't there a way to map the pedal anyway?

Mark

Lightbulb Re: If I get a midi keyboard

Mark,
    Choosing a MIDI controller is as subjective as asking `What should be my favorite kind of food?'. You will get opinions, but none will be important because no one else has your pallette. I know that sounds over the top, however having a MIDI controller you do not like will make your DAW environment miserable. (Been there, done that.) Now, if you want suggestions on what contollers to consider based on technical capabilities, we can steer you in the right direction and let you do the rest. However, we can't do that without knowing a bit more about your requirements. If you can answer the following, I am sure we can come up with a list of controllers for you to check out.

1) How many keys do you want? A full 88? Less?

2) Do you want a weighted, semi-weighted or organ touch keyboard?

3) How much do you want to spend?

4) What applications will you be using? You mentioned Cubase and Kontakt, anything else besides GPO?

5) You mentioned you had physical space limitations and could not have a pedal. Can you explain what the limitations are? Pedals are generally pretty small and do not require much space, so there must be a real space shortage? (Will the keyboard be on a desk or a stand?)

In the meantime, take a look at http://www.sweetwater.com and http://www.musiciansfriend.com for some of the larger online keyboard controller catalogs.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

OK...well the Edirol I mentioned in my first post is where my eye is going, it will have to fit in my little nook and cranny where i have my computer stuff.

Aside from GPO I will be using Project SAM Solo Sessions which is a fine new set of brass I bought, some GOS, SI strings and some Vienna...

MY big hopes are to achieve keyswitching, more realistic legato phrasing and attack in the brass.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    OK...well the Edirol I mentioned in my first post is where my eye is going, it will have to fit in my little nook and cranny where i have my computer stuff.

Aside from GPO I will be using Project SAM Solo Sessions which is a fine new set of brass I bought, some GOS, SI strings and some Vienna...

MY big hopes are to achieve keyswitching, more realistic legato phrasing and attack in the brass.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

About the Edirol PCR-30:

There might be a problem if you want to use this keyboard with GPO, I think the little "joystick" that controls modulation does not work well with GPO, you need a "wheel" controler for that.

The modulation "Wheel" will stay in place in whatever position you move it to but the "joy stick" modulation controler (such as on the Edirol) will move back to it's initial position, which is NOT good when working with GPO.

Maybe someone else who experienced this can comment...

For a small keyboard controler:

Have you checked out M-Audio, they have small KB with modulation "WHEEL" and additional assignable buttons/controlers. Some models are quite small, I use the Radium, a 5 octave KB and I like it, it works well for me.

Good luck !!!

NDEE

Post Re: If I get a midi keyboard

Mark,
    I took a look at the Edirol PCR-30 and here are my thoughts. Remember, this is all subjective so what is important to me might be kwatch to you.

1) I don't like joysticks or ribbon controllers. Joy sticks, like NDEE said, bounce back and that is not good. Ribbon controllers (I am stuck with one now) are great for other types of music, but not for GPO type of work. Mod wheel is the way to go.

2) Getting a keyboard that is at least semi-weighted is important to me. I cannot get any feel from an Edirol PCR-30 keyboard and feel is important for GPO. I have an Oxygen 8 (similar to the PCR-30) that I use for other types of music and love it, but for GPO I only use my Kurtzweil SP88. The Novation Remote series offers a compact size with semi-weighted keys. (They are a bit more expensive because of this, but worth the cost difference.) You can see them at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c514 .

3) I'd reconsider not getting a sustain pedal. I cannot imagine not using one when using GPO. More experienced people may tell you different, but I doubt it.

That's it. I hope you find it helpful.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

is there a way to have a pedal in a compact keyboard? Space is the real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    is there a way to have a pedal in a compact keyboard? Space is the real concern.
    Most small MIDI keyboards have an input jack for a standard switch pedal. It can either be a proper sustain pedal type or one of those cheap BOSS momentary switch pedals. I'd be shocked if all of the commonly available Edirol, M-Audio, Evolution, Yamaha, FATAR, StudioLogic, Novation MIDI keyboards didn't have one.

I've been looking at one of Evolution keyboards (MK-449C USB) for my touring hotel room rig, they feel a little nicer than the M-audio. I have a Yamaha right now, works fine but only has one MIDI fader besides the Pitch and Mod Wheels.

I would definitely concur with other posters that the Roland/Edirol joystick controller is no good for GPO use, otherwise those look like nice keyboards.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Mark,
    Choosing a MIDI controller is as subjective as asking `What should be my favorite kind of food?'. You will get opinions, but none will be important because no one else has your pallette. I know that sounds over the top, however having a MIDI controller you do not like will make your DAW environment miserable. (Been there, done that.) Now, if you want suggestions on what contollers to consider based on technical capabilities, we can steer you in the right direction and let you do the rest. However, we can't do that without knowing a bit more about your requirements. If you can answer the following, I am sure we can come up with a list of controllers for you to check out.

1) How many keys do you want? A full 88? Less?

2) Do you want a weighted, semi-weighted or organ touch keyboard?

3) How much do you want to spend?

4) What applications will you be using? You mentioned Cubase and Kontakt, anything else besides GPO?

5) You mentioned you had physical space limitations and could not have a pedal. Can you explain what the limitations are? Pedals are generally pretty small and do not require much space, so there must be a real space shortage? (Will the keyboard be on a desk or a stand?)

In the meantime, take a look at http://www.sweetwater.com and http://www.musiciansfriend.com for some of the larger online keyboard controller catalogs.

-Kevin
    I've been looking at the M-Audio Keystation PRO 88 or the Fatar SL880PRO Studiologic. If anyone is using either one of these controllers, I'd appreciate their opinion of them. Thank you.
    Roger

Go Back to forum