• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the Difference BTW

Share/Bookmark

What is the Difference BTW

Hi everybody!

Its My here.. I'm a new user in this forum.. i wanna purchase the GARRITAN
    PERSONAL ORCHESTRA but I was wondering for those who are familiar of these ensemble, what is the difference BTW the Personal Orchstra and the GARRITAN Orchstra Strings?

Thank you very much for your time

My

Re: What is the Difference BTW

Well, the biggest difference is just as the names say, Garritan Personal Orchestra is a full orchestra and Garritan Orchestral Strings is just a the string section of the orchestra. GPO is a full orchestra that comes with it's own Kontakt player and a bunch of other goodies (Cubasis VST, Overture SE, Ambience (reverb), and i'm sure there are other things too...i've just not used them). GOS is just the string section of the orchestra. The string samples are a better quality than those of GPO (although GPO does give you solo stings) and gives you many more articulations. GOS is in giga format, so in order to use it you would need Gigastudios or a sampler that could import .gig files (Kontakt, Halion, etc.) Hope that helps.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    GOS is just the string section of the orchestra. The string samples are a better quality than those of GPO (although GPO does give you solo stings) and gives you many more articulations. GOS is in giga format, so in order to use it you would need Gigastudios or a sampler that could import .gig files (Kontakt, Halion, etc.) Hope that helps.
    I'd like to clarify a few things:

GOS is a much more extensive sample set - but covers sections only. GPO is designed to cover more bases with fewer numbers of articulations, and includes an assortment of solo instruments that let you build your own virtual sections - one player at a time.

With GPO string sections you see things like "Short + Sustains" - which does a good job covering a wider range of articulations in a single patch. GPO takes advantages of the more modern sampler features in the Kontakt engine by doing things like alternation and legato modes without the aid of a separate tool - so the sections and solo instruments can be controlled with a relatively simple set of MIDI controllers and you can get really convincing results rather quickly. So in many ways, GPO is more advanced than GOS.

On a string section level, I think of GPO strings as a Swiss Army Knife, and GOS as a surgeon's tool. The solo strings in GPO are great to add "lead" soloists to section parts, or you can build up small ensembles with some uncanny realism. I have both and use both.

I'll be doing an extensive review of GPO on audioMIDI.com's web site, so keep your eyes peeled for that in the coming weeks.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I knew someone could explain it a little (or a lot) better than me. I too have both GPO and GOS Lite and they go very well together.
    Tim

So the final answer is:

Garritan Personal Orchestra is a sound library of all the sections of an orchestra.
    Woodwinds, brass, percusion, strings, keyboards and harp.

Garritan Orchestral Strings is a sound library of orchestral strings only.
    Violin, viola, cello and bass. And very well sampled at that.

If you plan on writing full orchestral pieces then by all means get GPO.

IF you only want to write string parts or have sound libary's of all the other sections of an orchestra then get GOS.

Welcome to the forum Solar,
    Hope to see you around and hear some of your works.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Thanx a lot for your answers!!

Hi everybody!

Its My right here, I would like to thank all of you for your welcome and also your answers about the GOS & GPS. I really appreciated and of course i'll be sending some link of some Demo that i'll be using the GPS and hope to hear some feedback from Pro's.

In the mean time, you can also go to listen some of my production work at the following site: www.broadjam.com/solarmusik

Thank you agaion for your time and hpe to hear soem feedback from you.

Alwys

My

Go Back to forum