• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3 system

Share/Bookmark

Smile Gigastudio 3 system

Now that Gigastudio 3 is out, shipping or ready to ship, I need to look at purchasing a quality system. I'll probably go with Dell if they can accomadate my needs. I intend to purchase the high-end Gigastudio orchestra version and would like a high end computer. A few questions...

1) Tascam advises a Pentium P4 at 3.0 gigahertz or higher. Does one still need to turn off hyperthreading? Or can this new version make use of the higher-end processing speeds?

2) How does the hard drives work out? Somehow I got it in my mind that one should have at least 3 hard drives. a) one for Windows XP and Gigastudio, b) one for all those samples, c) one for storing the audio files that you create with gigastudio. Is that a fair statement? Perhaps an 80 gig HD for the systems, 120 gig for the samples and another 120 gig for the audio files. Where does one put the sequencer or notation program? I presume on the first HD with Gigastudio.

3) I'd like to splurge and get dual LCD monitors. Any problems with this?

4) Why does Tascam recommend a midi interface with each set up? I have no intention of "playing into" the computer off a keyboard. (all my music will come from Finale, or a sequencer if and when I learn how to use one.)

5) I know that I will need a special GSIF-2 sound card. I understand that an Echo brand would be a good choice... no questions here.

(more questions later....)

Thanks for your time.

David Young

Re: Gigastudio 3 system

Hi, David.
    1) P4 3GHz. Turn off hyperThreading
    2)Yes to all.
    3) No problem. It's more comvenient.
    4) Software or hardware sequencer? Software will require playing into the computer. What is your instrument?
    5) O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Hi, David.

4) Software or hardware sequencer? Software will require playing into the computer. What is your instrument?

Initially, I will want to use Finale to playback through Gigastudio. I've been advised by many that this will work (but lacking the fine-tuning aspects of a software sequencer). I've been advised that I can have Finale on the same computer and it will work. Do I need to have a second computer to optimize the input? I would consider it.

Later, I may well invest in Sonar, to fine tune my input. Again, is it better to have Sonar on a second computer?

David

I've been advised by many that this will work (but lacking the fine-tuning aspects of a software sequencer).

That's true.
    I've been advised that I can have Finale on the same computer and it will work.

True too.

Again, is it better to have Sonar on a second computer?

Not necessary with your computer's horse power.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    Initially, I will want to use Finale to playback through Gigastudio. I've been advised by many that this will work (but lacking the fine-tuning aspects of a software sequencer). I've been advised that I can have Finale on the same computer and it will work. Do I need to have a second computer to optimize the input? I would consider it.

Later, I may well invest in Sonar, to fine tune my input. Again, is it better to have Sonar on a second computer?

David
    Ouput from Finale will "work," but how pleased you will be depends upon how serious you are about your finished tracks being listenable.

Finale output not only lacks "fine tuning" aspects. It's not a performance. To really get a musical result, you need to perform each part into a sequencer--otherwise there's no actual human musicality being expressed. Libraries are designed with a variation of articulations and musical intensities, but these are definitely designed to be enhanced and essentially "played" by a musical hand.

So if you're using the rig primarily as an audio-sketchpad to evaluate your writing, for subsequent performance by flesh-and-blood players, then to a degree the notation-software output will suffice. But it will be quite lifeless compared to the sound you would get if you performed each part into a sequencer musically.

Regarding dual machines, that would be determined by how "thick" your work becomes, part-wise. I'd advise starting with one, and seeing how it goes.

Good luck.

Go Back to forum