• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and GPO Studio with Garage Band

Share/Bookmark

GPO and GPO Studio with Garage Band

I'm not sure if this is possible or not...
    I'm trying to put GPO tracks into GarageBand by using the new record function in v1.2..The problem is I can only seem to record notes using the Kontakt player onscreen keyboard. My Oxygen 8 will not produce notes. I'm getting great results sonically this way, but playing notes with the mouse is very limiting to say the least.
    I've noticed that getting the tracks into GB as "Real" instruments gives me much more total instruments.Even with the reduced editing capabilities, I think this would work nicely for me. Am I doing something wrong or am I searching for the impossible dream?
    I've been using Reaktor Session this way to solve the CPU problems and it
    works great.
    Any other GarageBand/GPO users out there?

Re: GPO and GPO Studio with Garage Band

I just realized that you're talking about studio. Anyways, you need to select Midi Thru enabled in Garage band to get the output to Studio (I believe.) I've never used Garage band so I'm at a loss really. You could try using the included Cubase to load GPO as a VST and then play in the parts (that's worked well for me and I use an M-Audio product.) There may be problems routing midi thru to GPO Studio. I can try it tonight, but I can't promise you may be able to reproduce it if I'm successful since you're using a program I'm not familier with.

Thanks for the reply Joseph, but Garage Band does not have a Midi Thru enable, and I believe Cubase is a PC only program. Or is it for Mac too?
    I've tried to record from the GPO Kontakt player, which seems to recognize the keyboard, but any file that I drag into GB has no signal present.
    I've used Studio with GB as a Software Instrument with no trouble, but can only get 5 or 6 tracks going before the CPU strain begins. I've been using GPO with Sibelius for awhile now, but while I can compose easier in the notation program, the expression that can be achieved with a sequencer adds a realistic element. Anyone know how to record a file directly from GPO (not Studio) and have it recognized by GarageBand?

I have used Garage Band, it get it confused with garbage. There's a lot of limitations using that app. Use the Cubase.

Mrrubato,

Here is a GPO-GarageBand tutorial that may help: http://www.garritan.com/garageband_tutorial.html
    Using GPO as an Audio Units plugins seems to be the best route.

See if this helps.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Mrrubato,

Here is a GPO-GarageBand tutorial that may help: http://www.garritan.com/garageband_tutorial.html
    Using GPO as an Audio Units plugins seems to be the best route.

See if this helps.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks Gary for the link. I haven't been able to access that from the GPO site. I've been using GPO with GB like that (as a Software Instrument) for a few months now, but I need to reduce the CPU usage so I'm willing to sacrifice the editing versatility and record tracks as Real Instruments with very little CPU usage. The Record To File menu in v1.2 enables me to do this from Sibelius, but I'm trying to record from my Oxygen 8 keyboard.
    I can record .aiff files from the Kontakt player onsreen keyboard but this limits me to single notes and rather simple parts. I get no sound from my midi keyboard. Should I be able to and if so how? I use Reaktor Session similarly to this with nice results. It has it's own separate "Recorder Box" that creates Real Instrument files that I drag into GB. Is anything like this possible with GPO?

Go Back to forum