• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga teleport on Firewire network is it possible?

Share/Bookmark

Giga teleport on Firewire network is it possible?

As stated,

Giga teleport is very interesting apart from the slow Lan connection. That's why i like to know if somebody uses it with a firewire network connection! Audio and midi can pass without no problem and with a very low latency! If possible ofcourse but i think this must be made practical. I have no experience with networks can somebody help me on the network road. Or is there another better sufficient way to connect and operate GS remotly.

Greetings Wilfred.

Re: Giga teleport on Firewire network is it possible?

Teleport works on IP (Internet Protocol), which runs over Ethernet - and it also runs over Firewire. It should work, in theory.

It won't use Firewire to its potential though. Firewire has an asynchronous layer that works like Ethernet - stuf happens when it happens. It also has an isochronous layer that allows a stream to reserve bandwidth, and guarantees low-latency delivery.

Async is best for data from hard drives and to printers - if the data has an error, you re-send until you get it right.

Isoc is best for live video and audio - if the data has an error, keep going. The stream isn't going to stop and wait. We have to keep the latency low.

So... Firewire should work for Teleport in theory, but it won't be used optimally.

-JF

Is an ordinary Lan connection fast enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    Is an ordinary Lan connection fast enough?
    Marginally. I've tried VST Teleport with 100Base-T, but got some clicks. If I started a browser, things would crash. If you want to use Ethernet, go for Gigabit Ethernet. It still can't guarantee low-latency Quality of Service (QoS), but it has enough bandwidth to reduce any data conflicts.

-JF

Thanks John for the answers!
    What should you suggest, i like to link a Labtop to my PC host with sequencer running Cubase and LIVE in Rewiremode, and powercore cards for effects.
    I like to dedicate the LAbtop for Gigastudio. But i don't like to use another midiinterface and soundcard just to connect two PC's. There must be a more elegant way i suppose. I'm not stuck to ethernet!

Greetings Resident.

If your laptop includes a 400 mbps Firewire interface, I'd try that.

-JF

I have a slight problem i have no Labtop at the moment poor me! But before i buy one i would like to know wheter to go for Dual Xeon or a extra Labtop with a stable setup and stable connection over whatever. I also saw another connection this is called Midioverlan but then i need to buy a new audiocard aswell! I really don't know what is good bad to much too choose from!

I like to go for a extra labtop i think, i can use that one for live purposes in future.

Checkout the Echo Indigo soundcards for live playing from the laptop. It supports GSIF 1.0.

Giga doesn't support hyperthreading, and I'd bet that it doesn't support dual processors either. You might consider a 4RU rackmount with a really fast P4, Athlon or Athlon64 for live use. A laptop can also work, but it's not as roadworthy, is more prone to theft, and will likely need an external Firewire/USB2 hard drive and a limited soundcard. With 4RU you can put everything you need in the box.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

-JF

Thanks John for the advice now even more too choose from!

Go Back to forum