0 0%
  • Oh The Phlem - by RobbinsEgg

5 10.64%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Poll: Vote for the WORST DEMO EVER here

Share/Bookmark

Re: Poll: Vote for the WORST DEMO EVER here

GPO Trance by Sepheritoh

This actually worked quite well for me in an Eastern music kind of sense. Sorry, but you'll have to do much worse than that!

Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight By Styxx

This reminds me of the band of kids at the end of The Music Man, but again, it's just not awful enough. Sorry, Mike.

Pedestrial March by bosone

Now this was a funny approach, but it's more of a skit than a piece of music, though certainly the music is badly performed! But once it gets going, the tune is actually quite nice, so sorry, but no go...

Knuckles by trentpmcd

Now, this was pretty bad. It's funny how this and the previous two demos are so convincing at replicating an orchestra playing badly. GPO can really do it all! So far this gets my vote.

Despair on a G String by seeker

This sounds curiously like some of the things that I laid down when I was just trying to test out the Sonar and Tracktion demos with a bunch of different instruments and tracks. This is also quite bad, and now it's a close call between this and "Knuckles". Loved the gong at the end, but it would have been more appropriate to put it in the middle, a la Chuck Barris!

A Night With Prokofiev by Nicole

Whoops. This one didn't come up.

Terriable Demo by falcon1

This would work as background for a sci-fi/horror film, so in that sense it's too good.

Disco Bagpipes by DarwinKopp

This was quite painful to listen to. Yeah, quite bad.

Folsom by squoze

Pretty bad, to be sure, but just not bad enough to compete.

4-33 by squoze (actuall 4-32)

Hmmm... Is this supposed to be all silent? I was expecting a big tutti at the end or something. 4:32 of silence isn't bad, though. It's actually relaxing.

Oh The Phlem by RobbinsEgg

Ah, now this was refreshingly bad. Reminds me of some of Zappa's work, though. Still, I would have to go with either this or the Disco Bagpipes. But I'll have to reserve my vote until I can hear Nicole's (er, Danielle's) piece.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

I decided to vote for Disco bagpipes, because there was something abou it that felt as it unconsciously intended to HURT the listener.

It managed to avoid any hint of pleasentness.

And the masterstroke of self indulgent percussion solo [which gave the impressoin that the drummer had no respect whatsoever for the audience] was only bettered by the return of the other instrumentalists who actually musically succeeded in giving the impression that they did NOT like the percussionist.

Well Done.

Glyn

It occurs to me that there is a valuable lesson to be learned in a few of these “bad” demos. I’m thinking specifically of Pedestrial March, Knuckles, and Hot Time. These demos are uncannily realistic in their use of the available tools in GPO to simulate actual human beings playing their instruments. Deliberately poor execution – yes. Hilarious – also yes. But there is truth behind the bad timing, poor intonation, and mistakes. The lesson to be learned is to apply these same principles (but much more judiciously) when writing the “good” stuff. The result could be a more believable illusion while still existing within the bounds of professional-level execution. If there is a consistent, common error in the construction of MIDI mockups it is users making them too perfect. The tools for humanizing passages are in GPO if you choose to use them (and more are on the way).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    It occurs to me that there is a valuable lesson to be learned in a few of these “bad” demos. I’m thinking specifically of Pedestrial March, Knuckles, and Hot Time. These demos are uncannily realistic in their use of the available tools in GPO to simulate actual human beings playing their instruments. Deliberately poor execution – yes. Hilarious – also yes. But there is truth behind the bad timing, poor intonation, and mistakes. The lesson to be learned is to apply these same principles (but much more judiciously) when writing the “good” stuff. The result could be a more believable illusion while still existing within the bounds of professional-level execution. If there is a consistent, common error in the construction of MIDI mockups it is users making them too perfect. The tools for humanizing passages are in GPO if you choose to use them (and more are on the way).

Tom
    Good thinking my atonal chum!

Frank

All the pieces were full of invention to the point that many were funny. I think that I should go for Darwins except that it pokes fun at Scotland's proudest cultural icon. Also I'm not quite clear how to deal with commenting on the songs whilst still adhering to Gary's etiquette guidelines.

Oh Damn it....Darwin's disco bagpipes was terrible (sucks like a Dyson!!) so it's got my vote.

How come no one started with atonal music....they would have had a head start? Perhaps that's an idea for a future competition now that we've had the 'best of' the worst 'romantic' classical pieces.
    Hang on for a moment, though...there's a problem. If we have the 'best of' the worst of the atonal pieces then that could be quite good couldn't it? (quite good by my taste standards, that is) Hmmmm.......

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    4-33 by squoze (actuall 4-32)
    Hmmm... Is this supposed to be all silent? I was expecting a big tutti at the end or something. 4:32 of silence isn't bad, though. It's actually relaxing.
    If you listen, there is a cell phone going off, babies talking and crying, sirens, car alarm, coughs, etc. It was not very well performed--and only lasted 4:32, which I thought was terrible.

Disco Bagpipes here as well. The worst of them probably, at least the most random and doesn't feel as well thought out to me. The rest are still to well layed out I feel. Too bad I didn't get mine in in time. Heck, the next demo I post'll put all these to shame anyway and I'll be trying to make a good song.

Talking Re: Poll: Vote for the WORST DEMO EVER here

Hey! The poll is closed already?! I wanted to listen to them all again to get a fresh listen before casting a vote.

Well, in case it does count, I have to agree on the disco bagpipes from hell. My reasoning 1) After 5 or 6 listens over the past few weeks I still laugh out loud at some point during the song. 2) The bagpipe whine has got to be the most grusome sound I have ever encountered 3) I will never be able to listen to Heart and Soul again without some degree of nausia occuring.

Upon thinking about it, I should revoke my vote simply because this piece is so offensive. Technically speaking, the entire country of Scotland should dog pile DarwinKopp and force feed him Haggis for the rest of his life!

The other entries were also great - Pedestrian March, Despair on a G String and Oh the Phlem standing out in my mind as atrocities for music.

The contest has been great and kudos for all who entered, each piece was quite....hmmmm...I'm not sure if enjoyable is the right word.

I'm looking forward to the next contest as I'll be ready to give it a go.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

EDIT: Looks like the poll has re-opened. The glitch in the matrix has been corrected.

Hmmm....Don't know what happened and why the poll is temporarily closed. It sems we've been having problems with the poll and I'll ask Papachalk if we can have it opened up again.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum