• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bitchin' drums?

Share/Bookmark

Cool Bitchin' drums?

I was wondering if anyone might have some great recommendations on which drum libraries lend themselves to heavy metal and hard rock. I am looking for a live, raw, contemporary, smashing, heavy-hitting sound. (Do you want some more adjectives?) THANKS! (-:

Re: Bitchin' drums?

"Drums From Hell" are the shtiz (check out www.soundsonline.com)... not gonna get more metal/heavy than that.

KID-

Yeah, Drumkit from Hell, you can't go wrong with either 1,2 or superior.

Also, NS Kit which is a free download from nskit.com is also pretty rockish and won't cost you a penny.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Drun Kit from Hell, and Stormdrums. I dont have DKFH, but I've heard enough demos to know it sounds great.

I also like Real Giga Drums, for the room sound, you can get a nice bonhomish sound out of them.

Pure Drums has a snare or two I like to layer in from time to time.

but my current go to is StormDrums. Add a bit of multiband and it sounds great. I do however still find that the GM kits sound like poop with regards to thi-hats, once you go to the hi hat patches its a bit better, but I think there needs to be a purely hi hat update (and maybe some softer snares.

I find for anything really tasty Storm drums takes a little work, but tones are great.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Why does no one ever reccomend Scarbee's drums?

Ed
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed

Ed
    I can recommend Scarbee's drums!

For the style you are looking at doing - pull up the beater mic - compress it and compress the snare beyond belief - then pound away! I've successfully pulled off Tool's "46 and 2" with SID!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I dont suggesst it because I dont have it, and the only reason I say DKFH is that I've heard enough hard rock/metal demos with that lib to know it will sound good in a metal context

if you have it and think it'll sound good, then suggest it

Alan Post it
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by Ed

Ed

The reason is because DFH (1-2) are the pinnacle for the heavy sound. (King, you gotta get em man, I'm tell'n you... they're boss! )

Here's a 20 second quick demo I did with them just to hear what my guitar would sound like wrapped around them. (yeah I know it's sloppy -- who cares -- it was a test is all)

HEAVY CLIP

(***Drums not to click, which is how to get a live feel -- although this is just the drums as a stereo out with slight verb, EQ, and multiband compression --- If I was doing a real tune I'd out-put each drum to separate channels and treat everything like a real kit (in pairs or single w/sub mix), for one I'd put HPF on the hat and run it through the Avalon then pump it with the rest of the kit.... so on and so forth with the rest of the kit.

BTW-- I just got Storm Drums haven't even really messed with it yet... actually I just got a bunch of new stuff.

KID-

Quote Originally Posted by KingIdiot

Alan Post it
    I can't - rendered with my Acoustic Bass Lib in there - and its a copywritten work. It was the only bass I had that worked with SID and Overdrive (re-amped) for that track...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Kid...which volume of the collection did you use on that little clip, particularly kick? Love that kick.

You're right though..that's the real deal metal sound...thanks for that! I've been wondering what the next kit to buy should be as well...this helps...

Go Back to forum