• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Studio does not start...

Share/Bookmark

GPO Studio does not start...

Hi to all,

I´ve a little probleme:

I just got my GPO today and installed everything. I then tried a little with Finale 2004, which - after a little while - worked very well.

After that I also installed the bundled Cubase and Overture - just to try.
    But after that, I´m not able to start the GPO Studio anymore. The first windows appears (with the orchestra and the text "Garritan Personal Orchestra", but the Studio itself doesn´t start...

Any ideas what the problem could be?
    (I also reinstalled the Studio, but no effect.)

Thanks & all best,
    -Alawill

Re: GPO Studio does not start...

No errors? Have you restarted your machine? Uninstalled Studio completely and reinstalled? Could be a soundcard driver issue. I'm not sure. Do you have either of the mentioned programs running when this occurs? Just need some more info.

I have the same problem with it hanging. You failed to mention your soundcard which can give us more info.
    I found the fix is changing the driver settings in Studio. Once it opens, (I've had it hang for 20 minutes) in the audio settings uncheck Primary Sound Driver and select either Primary Sound Driver (your card mentioned net) Output 1 or the ASIO output.

It's doesn't hang if you set that. I've had this problem with other software hanging (Acid Pro) when primary sound driver is chosen.

Also if you have Gigastudio installed stop the Msg32.exe from running in the background. This does help. I only run it when I'm using Gigastudio.

Hm, thanks for the infos...

Today I completely uninstalled everything and reinstalled it - no effect.

But I found something interesting:
    When I start GPO Kontakt Player and go to "Setup" to change to ASIO, also the Kontakt Player shuts down. And, I can not hear e.g. a loaded Horn or Strings, but just Piano Sound.

Btw, the soundcard is C-Media AC97 Audio Device. So this is a standard (crap) sound card preinstalled in the computer. I guess I have to change it. (Which I will do in the near future, as even the sound of a MP3 or CD is noisy.)

So, should I just replace the soundcard or any other idea to get started before the new soundcard arrives?

Thanks all,
    -Harald

You could try the ASIO4ALL drivers, but your standard direct X or Windows media drivers (WDM) should work. You can google for ASIO4ALL.

Thanks Joseph (and kitekrazy),

no it works again. Looks at it has been this ASIO kind of stuff...

But I think I will get a new sound card in the near future as well

Thanks again and all best,
    Harald

Quote Originally Posted by Alawill
    Hm, thanks for the infos...

Btw, the soundcard is C-Media AC97 Audio Device. So this is a standard (crap) sound card preinstalled in the computer. I guess I have to change it. (Which I will do in the near future, as even the sound of a MP3 or CD is noisy.)

So, should I just replace the soundcard or any other idea to get started before the new soundcard arrives?

Thanks all,
    -Harald
    First of all you really don't have a soundcard. It's an audio chip. That's the 1st thing I disable on all of my systems. It can't handle GPO nor was it meant too.

Buy a soundcard, then before you install it, go into the bios and disable the AC97 (usually on IRQ 5) then put the soundcard in and go thru all the installation.

Thumbs up Re: GPO Studio does not start...

Hi Alawill,

There's lots of good audio cards out there. I recently purchased an M-Audio OmniStudio for $220, which not only has great 24/96 capabilities and ASIO drivers, but also has a couple of fine mic preamps if you want to insert vocals and a few other line/aux inputs on the breakout box.

It's probably more than I need, but it makes sense to me- before spending money on hardware- to look at exactly what is required, then get just a bit more for expansion possibilities. Cause you never know.

You'll find a decent audio card makes all the difference in the world for GPO.

Good luck w/ your set-up,

Michael

Dear Michael,

thanks for the info. Yesterday I bought a Soundblaster Audigy2 which works really fine. I´m not sure, if everything is setup right already, but it works well and especially fast orchestral passages work very fine now. I will try to connect my Yamaha Clavinova (unfortunatelly without pitch wheel) later this day...

So much to learn, so much to do...

Btw, thanks to this great community, which helped me a lot in the few days I´m into GPO, CC#1, ModWheel and Co.

Thanks (and I guess there are many questions to come... )
    -Harald

Go Back to forum