• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Song That Wasn't Bad Enough....

Share/Bookmark

The Song That Wasn't Bad Enough....

Since the polls closed before I could vote for the worse demo I’m going to post the one that was too good to enter.

I was originally going to do “Knuckles” with the three melodies played more in a rondo style than all together. I started working on the second time through “Chopsticks” (it was originally my A) first, because this is where the idea came from. Unfortunately, I was liking it so I dropped the idea.

Today I took a few minutes to brush it off, make a few quick changes and throw together a recording of the song that wasn’t bad enough.

http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...-8-23-2004.mp3 1 MB
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: The Song That Wasn't Bad Enough....

Tent,
    Call me insane but this was one heck of a cool piece! I loved it! This was bad enough for me.
    Styxx

Re: The Song That Wasn't Bad Enough....

Styxx,

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

I think I accidentally turned everyone away by giving the roots of this little ditty. My original thought for the "Worse Demo Contest" was to do something PDQ Bach style where I would take these silly themes and pretend I was serious but make major mistakes. Way too time consuming! I guess I ended up doing sort of a PDQ Bach thing with a bit of a parody of Ives (though horribly done).

Anyway, so the title of the thread comes from the origins of this little ditty, not how bad I feel this is. Or something like that.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Danielle,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve always loved PDQ Bach though I only have a couple of his albums. He reminds us that we can never take things too seriously. I doubt if I’m clever enough (or knowledgeable enough) to be able to do anything like that, but it was fun coming up with this little excerpt.

I’ve been listening to a lot of Charles Ives lately. Not always the easiest music to listen to but well worth the effort. I’m sure the documentary you saw was very interesting.

Thanks again for your comments.

(In case it wasn't clear above, the Ives reference is to the song I did place in the "Worst Demo Contest", Knuckles, not to this.)
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Since the polls closed before I could vote for the worse demo I’m going to post the one that was too good to enter.

I was originally going to do “Knuckles” with the three melodies played more in a rondo style than all together. I started working on the second time through “Chopsticks” (it was originally my A) first, because this is where the idea came from. Unfortunately, I was liking it so I dropped the idea.

Today I took a few minutes to brush it off, make a few quick changes and throw together a recording of the song that wasn’t bad enough.

http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...-8-23-2004.mp3 1 MB
    I don't know if you'll appreciate this, but I got a kick out of it. When I started playing your piece through my speakers, my 2 1/2 year old daughter came running out of her room with a huge smile on her face, then grabbed my finger and began twirling around like a balerina to the pace of the music. You might think this is a lousy demo, but I know one young girl who thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever heard--she made me play it nine times!
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    I don't know if you'll appreciate this, but I got a kick out of it. When I started playing your piece through my speakers, my 2 1/2 year old daughter came running out of her room with a huge smile on her face, then grabbed my finger and began twirling around like a balerina to the pace of the music. You might think this is a lousy demo, but I know one young girl who thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever heard--she made me play it nine times!
    Wow, I have a fan! OK, she's only 2 1/2, but she seems to have good taste. I'm glad, for your sake, that this piece is short - I have a hard time listening even to something like Bach 9 times in a row without getting tired of it.

When I listen to this little ditty I just have to smile. After reading your story about your daughter my smile will be a little bigger. Thanks for relaying it on.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum