• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: There is hardly any volume - is there something wrong?

Share/Bookmark

There is hardly any volume - is there something wrong?

There is not much in the way of volume. Everything has been configured correctly to my knowledge.

There seems to be little volume. With the volume set at exactly the middle there it is still quite low. I turn the volume right up to 12dB (full) and I can hear something but it isn't anywhere near loud as it should be. Some instruments are naturally louder than others, but at 12dB (full) the sound should be coming out quite loud, but doesn't seem to be, and I've checked out a few of the instruments.

Is there something wrong?

I just ran the update for the GPO Kontakt player and that made it more stable and I was hoping the volume would be better, but alas, no luck. Still the same low volume.

If anybody knows where it went wrong, I'd really appreciate some assistance.

Thank you

Regards
    Ben

Re: There is hardly any volume - is there something wrong?

Modulation data controls the volume and timbre of the instruments in GPO. The volume knob itself is kind of 'set and forget'. If you are auditioning the instruments in a sequencer always make sure and add modulation data to the midi controller track to make sure there is some volume present. The update down the road sets the mod wheel at 64 when you open the Kontakt player so in the future you will not have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Modulation data controls the volume and timbre of the instruments in GPO. The volume knob itself is kind of 'set and forget'. If you are auditioning the instruments in a sequencer always make sure and add modulation data to the midi controller track to make sure there is some volume present. The update down the road sets the mod wheel at 64 when you open the Kontakt player so in the future you will not have to worry about it.
    I've seen the same behavior as BenjaminD - it's *not* just a matter of setting
    the mod control higher (though I had to RTFM to figure that out). Even
    if I set the modulation value to the max, whether via the GUI or my
    keyboard controller, the volume in Sonar 3.1.1 is very low. As in -46db.

Now, what's really strange is that I can make this behavior go away
    by going to the Options menu and changing the settings - it doesn't
    seem to matter what change I make! I had this problem just a few
    minutes ago on booting, launching Sonar, and instantiating GPO.
    I changed the "auto convert to 32-bit" and "default CC7 and CC10
    for volume and pan" settings, restarted GPO, and it was fine. Then
    I set both settings back to where they had originally been, restarted
    GPO, and it's *still* fine. There's a definite bug in there somewhere...

I wonder if the problem is specific to the DX version of the player. I've never encountered this with the VST. Hmm... No ones mentioned it with the beta either so this may have been addressed in the updates. Kevin, have you tried wrapping the VST to a DX in Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I wonder if the problem is specific to the DX version of the player. I've never encountered this with the VST. Hmm... No ones mentioned it with the beta either so this may have been addressed in the updates. Kevin, have you tried wrapping the VST to a DX in Sonar.
    I have not been running the VST version. I just launched it and didn't
    have the problem, but then again, I'm no longer seeing it in the DXi,
    now that I've changed the preferences a couple of times.

You must record CC1 data at the beginning of each track or it will revert back to modulation being down to nothing when you restart Sonar. There are 2 ways to set this level for each track. You can use the Inspector window to set one of the sliders to CC1 and put a default level in. The other option is to move the modulation wheel before recording of notes start. I always have one blank measure before the music starts. This gives time to set CC1 levels and for playback to stabilize.

If you turn on CC7/CC10 you must set CC7 levels or your levels will be very hot. 0 db in Kontakt is at 82 for CC7. Sonar defaults to 100 for CC7 which is way to hot and will cause distortion. I prefer to not turn on this option as the basic settings in the player are pretty balanced for most orchestral work. Some of the woodwind recordings are very hot and should not be set higher than 40-45 in CC7!

Autoconverting samples to 32 bit option is also not recommended. This will not improve the sound quality but will increase overhead on the CPU. This will cut back on the amount of polyphony.

Using the default CC7 settings of the player and placing CC1 settings before the instruments cause my master volume to about hit 0 db in fortissimo passages with a full orchestra playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You must record CC1 data at the beginning of each track or it will revert back to modulation being down to nothing when you restart Sonar...
    I know, but that's not the problem I was seeing - I had already taken
    care of that, and could *see* in the GUI that the "wheel" wasn't at
    zero (which is where it always starts, and you observe), but I still
    had the problem with the level. It didn't matter if I set the mod value
    to max with the mouse/GUI or with my keyboard controller.

Actually, I've felt that GPO is very quiet compared to other soft synths and samplers. I find I keep having to turn the vol up for each instrument before it's anything other than a flicker at the bottom of my mixer VDU. I'm running it as a VSTi in Cubase SE.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

What are your levels set at in your soundcards mixer app? I normally have to backoff the levels for each of my audio tracks or I'm above the 0 db mark. Usually have most of the audio tracks pulled back about 2 db except the strings which are usually set around 0 db. I have used GPO in Sonar are a few different machines with different soundcards and they all behaved the same way as my main machine.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbeat
    Actually, I've felt that GPO is very quiet compared to other soft synths and samplers. I find I keep having to turn the vol up for each instrument before it's anything other than a flicker at the bottom of my mixer VDU. I'm running it as a VSTi in Cubase SE.
    If you try the stupid trick of changing the settings in the Options menu, does it have any effect?

Go Back to forum