• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio 3 system, few more questions

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 3 system, few more questions

For a high end gigastudio system you advised me on the advantages of three hard drives, one for the Windows XP and Gigastudio 3, one for the notation program or sequencer and one for the resulting audio files.

I've heard it mentioned that a RAID system is advisable.

Is that for protecting the samples by having extra copies?

Is it then helpful to have a fourth hard drive for the "redundant array"?

To listen to your work, you need the GSIF-2 sound card. Can you offer recommendations as to good monitor speakers to connect to the sound card output?

I was thinking about driving the output through my good quality stereo system. Is there any problem to this, or should I get new speakers particularly made as monitor speakers?

And do I need a mixer to go between the sound card output and the speakers?

Thanks much for the advice!

David

Re: Gigastudio 3 system, few more questions

I would recommend having one machine with nothing other than Giga on it. That machine should have two drives, one for Giga and XP, the other for samples. Then have a totally separate machine for notation or sequencing programs. I have found Giga to be much happier on its own machine.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by soxfanben
    I would recommend having one machine with nothing other than Giga on it. That machine should have two drives, one for Giga and XP, the other for samples. Then have a totally separate machine for notation or sequencing programs. I have found Giga to be much happier on its own machine.

Ben
    Good advice. The system I recently put together for GS3 is....

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/GS3)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    Good advice. The system I recently put together for GS3 is....

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/GS3)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    This is a nice system but i would go for one Samsung SV80 GB drive for the system, this is way more quiet. To do backups use Ghost or something (very fast). U could also use P4P800-E deluxe wich costs 1/3 less but offers allmost the same speed.

You'll want Finale or sequencer on the SAME partition as the OS, not on a separate drive. Much of these programs functionality (dlls) is installed with the OS anyway, even if you think you're installing them elsewhere.

There's no reason not to start with a single system. You can add a second system if and when you need to. Finale is light on resourse usage.

Thanks.

Okay, if one uses just one machine, have Windows XP, Gigas, Finale on one drive, samples on a second, and a third for the resultant audio files.

I guess there is no particular reason to have a RAID set up then (?) or any reason to have a 4th hard drive (if such a thing can even be done).

David

RAID 0 has a slight speed advantage. It also joins the the component disks into one large volume. But no, not nesessary.

The important thing is to have each hard drive on it's own interupt. Something like this:

IDE Ch 1: Master, OS hard drive (C)
    Slave, CD/DVD

IDE Ch 2: Master, Hard drive for Samples or Audio

SATA 1: Hard drive for Audio or Samples

Maybe I don't tax my system too much, but I have everything running on the same machine, and on the same drive, with no noticeable hickups, ie: Giga32, Cubase VST32, Kompakt, Absynth, Acid etc.

The machine is an AMD Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig ram, SATA hard drive, etc.

Maybe I just have a horseshoe up my [nss][nss][nss], maybe things will change once I upgrade to GS3....

Thanks, fellows.

... and what about monitors.

What are you using in terms of stereo speakers for your output? Do you connect to a stereo amplifer and system, or did you get special speaker monitors, or do you just use speakers that come with your computer (and function through the special GSIF sound card?

Anyone use high end earphone? Any suggestions?

David

Some use studio headphones (Sennheiser HD280-Pro, Sony MDR-2506...), others use monitors from cheapos up to Genelecs. I route through a Mackie 1402 mixer, and I use HD280-Pros on occassion, and homemade monitors in general. I got the Echo MIA, since it has balanced inputs and outputs over 1/4" TRS connectors, rather than cheap mini-plugs.

-JF

Go Back to forum