• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic soundcard question with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Basic soundcard question with GPO

I've just recently installed GPO(on G4 1GHz laptop with 1 Gb ram) and can only get decent playback(with Sibelius) with 2 instruments, more and sound becomes total chaos, fuzz, etc., your basic everyday common household sonic meltdown.

I'm thinking it might be because I'm using only the soundcard that came in the computer - is this likely to be the source of the problem? I was first thinking it might have something to do with the hard-drive's rotation speed which I believe is 5600 rpm.

Also, is it normal for GPO Studio to take a really long time to start up?

Thanks

Terrific instruments!

Re: Basic soundcard question with GPO

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee
    I've just recently installed GPO(on G4 1GHz laptop with 1 Gb ram) and can only get decent playback(with Sibelius) with 2 instruments, more and sound becomes total chaos, fuzz, etc., your basic everyday common household sonic meltdown.

I'm thinking it might be because I'm using only the soundcard that came in the computer - is this likely to be the source of the problem? I was first thinking it might have something to do with the hard-drive's rotation speed which I believe is 5600 rpm.

Also, is it normal for GPO Studio to take a really long time to start up?

Thanks

Terrific instruments!
    The drive is a bit slow, but I would consider the sound card as the main part of the problem. In most cases, it is better to disable or replace the built in sound cards. Whatever you get, even before you use it, download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site!!!

It seems normal for GPO Studio to take a long time to start, but it is worth the wait.

You did not mention which version of Sibelius you are using, which may make a difference. I am only familiar with version 2.0 through 3.1.3, GPO is good with 3.1.3.

...I'm thinking it might be because I'm using only the soundcard that came in the computer...
    If you consider buying a new sound card, check out the Echo Indigo PCMCIA card, we are a few GPOers (including Gary Garritan) using it and we all seem to be quite satisfied with it

NDEE

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    The drive is a bit slow, but I would consider the sound card as the main part of the problem. In most cases, it is better to disable or replace the built in sound cards. Whatever you get, even before you use it, download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site!!!

It seems normal for GPO Studio to take a long time to start, but it is worth the wait.

You did not mention which version of Sibelius you are using, which may make a difference. I am only familiar with version 2.0 through 3.1.3, GPO is good with 3.1.3.
    Thanks for the info. Can you disable the stock soundcard? I thought it was built right onto the motherboard or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NDEE
    If you consider buying a new sound card, check out the Echo Indigo PCMCIA card, we are a few GPOers (including Gary Garritan) using it and we all seem to be quite satisfied with it

NDEE
    Thanks for the info. I'll check into that one.

Thanks for the info. Can you disable the stock soundcard? I thought it was built right onto the motherboard or something.
    You usually disable it it the BIOS if it's built-in.
    "A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules,often with the assistence of unsuspecting musicians"

Go Back to forum