• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Octet in A minor

Share/Bookmark

Octet in A minor

My third piece with GPO! This octet is for: harp, 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass, flute, and english horn. Here is the link:

http://www.wizardwalk.com/music/Octet_in_A_minor.mp3

I think it turned out pretty nicely. I leave for college on Thursday and should've been packing all day, but I couldn't stop working on this piece.

I'd love to know what you think! Thanks for listening.

Thumbs up Re: Octet in A minor

I particularly enjoyed the harp and nicely arranged yet I would have loved to hear a bit of percussion highlighting the changes but not extensively. Nothing heavy, maybe light and slight dusting of percussion. Just the percussionist in me.
    Lovely piece of work! I can see why it was hard for you to stop working on it.
    Styxx

Re: Octet in A minor

Good work. Very attractive lines and smooth textures. A couple of opinions should you return to work on it: you've created something almost electronic using traditional sounds -- perhaps it would be effective either to go farther or less far, more electronic, more mix-versatile, and leave the traditional basis behind, or less electronic and emphasize more the reality of the instruments and look at playability issues -- nothing sounds hard technically but imo the balance issues would surface dramatically with real performers. The other opinion might be to make things less smooth here and there -- not sure that would be feasible, though, without spoiling the good things you've made.

Very nice. The first thing I thought of was Enya. Not that it sounds like her, but it has a quality I find in her music. I can see Danielle's refrence to Phillip Glass too - maybe similar textures with the arpeggios.
    Trent P. McDonald

Sean,

Good luck with going to college tomorrow!

I liked your Octet in A minor. An excellent composition. I particularly like the harp (but I am biased), the weaving textures and the balances between the instruments. There's a nice flow to it.

Thanks for posting this!

Gary Garritan

Thank you for listening!

Originally Posted by Danielle

Very cool! The in a way it reminds me of the Kundun soundtrack. I dont mean it sounds like it in anyway, just reminds me of that style of writing(which is not a bad thing being I believe philip glass did kundun!). The modalistic touch is nice.
    I am not familiar with the movie or soundtrack, but I did look it up, and it was indeed scored by Phillip Glass. That's a bit odd, since I am not a fan of Phillip Glass's music, but perhaps I just need to listen to more of his work.

Originally Posted by Styxx

I particularly enjoyed the harp and nicely arranged yet I would have loved to hear a bit of percussion highlighting the changes but not extensively. Nothing heavy, maybe light and slight dusting of percussion. Just the percussionist in me.
    I actually did plan to add some percussion, but I couldn't find anything that I thought fit well. I think a Tabor drum playing a rhythm in the background would work nicely (the drum can be heard in Bizet's farandole), but it is a rare drum instrument and not included in GPO. Perhaps a low soft timpani note would work; I'll have to try it.

Originally Posted by gugliel

perhaps it would be effective either to go farther or less far, more electronic, more mix-versatile, and leave the traditional basis behind, or less electronic and emphasize more the reality of the instruments and look at playability issues -- nothing sounds hard technically but imo the balance issues would surface dramatically with real performers. The other opinion might be to make things less smooth here and there -- not sure that would be feasible, though, without spoiling the good things you've made.
    I'd love to make it sound more realistic, but I'm not sure where I'd start, especially since I can't play any of the instruments this octet features. I can understand why balance issues would surface with real performers, since it can be hard to set modulation and velocity realistically with numeric values of 1-127. The cool thing is that with GPO, if you are not fimiliar with recorded music as much, you can easily be tricked into thinking the music is from a real performance.

Originally Posted by trentpmcd

Very nice. The first thing I thought of was Enya. Not that it sounds like her, but it has a quality I find in her music. I can see Danielle's refrence to Phillip Glass too - maybe similar textures with the arpeggios.
    My mother used to listen to Enya a lot, so I am fimiliar with her style. I usually have no idea what she's singing about, but I see the similarity. I do love the musical atmosphere her music tends to have. It's kind of mysterious and makes me think of picturesque images . . .

Originally Posted by Garritan

I liked your Octet in A minor. An excellent composition. I particularly like the harp (but I am biased), the weaving textures and the balances between the instruments. There's a nice flow to it.
    I'm glad you liked it, thanks for listening! I do hope the harp player wouldn't get too tired of playing the repetitive arpeggios. I don't think I'd be able to do it!

Thank you for the comments!

i liked it

Originally Posted by Danielle

In no way I meant it sounded like Phillip Glass Just to me (my opinion! it comes close to that style in a way but not completely. But thats just a reference, sorta if I would say it sounds like something from the romantic era, that could mean just simply stylistic trends and no reference to any composer of that time period. Sorry if it sounded like I meant it was "glass-ish" that wasnt my intention.
    I understand, it just kind of makes me want to listen to the Kundun soundtrack to hear it for myself.

Originally Posted by the emperor

i liked it
    Thanks!

Sorry for a late comment on this piece, but I don't get around the forums like I use too!

I really like this piece! Very un-conventional.

I do find it strange that most forum members here are almost apologizing frequently, for mentioning (liking?) Philip Glass. Like he was some kind of hack and not the legitimate composer (and FILM composer) that he most certainly is.

He created a new style of orchestral music out of the graveyard of stagnation that was/is post modern serialism and atonal composition. His works are quite tonal in the traditional sense, yet with a completely different approach that resembles orchestral electronic music, if anything.

John Adams is another composer who has taken the lead from Glass and applied it to a more traditional orchestral music.

Many film composers, such as James Horner, have used Glass's style in their scores for years.

So I for one, make NO apologies for Philip Glass! If someone compared my music to his, I would be flattered!

P.S.: I DO like serialism and atonal composiition, just in small doses...!

Indeed no apologies!

Glass is also one of my favourites. I like your work. It is calm and soothing.
    John Adams wrote, if I remember correctly, an opera called The Death of Klinghofer. And in it he did succesfully, imo, as did Glass with his opera Akhnaten, create a large drama with this marvellous way of musicwriting.

Keep on creating!

Mika

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast