• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pop song of mine to share...absolutely nothing political.

Share/Bookmark

Pop song of mine to share...absolutely nothing political.

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hey guys,

I just thought I would share with some of you all a song that my cousin and I recently wrote. I am pretty proud of it. (It is out of the norm from my film scoring work). I thought I would share it here with all my Northern Sounds Political friends since I know you all would at least be in here.

The background story...my agent said "The OC" was looking for a new, original Christmas song for their upcoming Xmas episode. He wanted to know if my cousin and I wanted to take a crack at it (since we are both with ICM). So...of course we jumped at the opportunity. We wrote this in 6 hours on a Saturday night 3 weeks ago. Three days later, we had finished the recording. Most of which was recorded at my place (except the drums were recorded elsewhere).

My cousin is the one singing. He has a unique...higher...pure voice.

The song is called "California Christmas" and can be found and listened to on my music page on my web site www.brianralston.com. It is not your typical Christmas song. Which was the point. It's a more "Cali" feel we tried to go for. Afterall, Christmas in California is very different than the rest of the country. Lots of sun & no snow or chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

Brian Ralston's music page (Click here)

Click on the Pop & Rock Section, the MP3 will load and stream in flash.

In the end, "the OC" heard the song and liked it, but decided they wanted to go with a more "known" talent. Oh well...it was a great opportunity and we are currently working on getting the song placed in another TV show this fall and some radio play time in L.A. this Christmas. We'll see.

Hope you all enjoy a little California Christmas early this year.

(And by the way....shameless plug.)
    My cousin's band is performing here in L.A. next at the Viper Room on Wed. Sept. 1st at 8:30PM. His band is called BORNE. Anyone here is of course welcome to check it out. I believe it is $10 at the door. Music clips of Michael Mewborne's songs and more info about him can be found here www.borne-music.com. Although I am Michael's keyboard player...we have yet to add me into his live sets yet. Perhaps when he starts playing larger venues or goes on tour. But, I will be there on Sept. 1st. listening from the crowd and supporting him.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Pop song of mine to share...absolutely nothing political.

Brian,

I really like the melody and the harmony in the chorus! Excellent!

Writing Christmas themed pop songs is extremely difficult and you have put together a very solid piece. It's sad to think that the name is more important than the music. Fortunately, your "normal work" is superb and I'm sure you're going to continue making quite a name for yourself in the biz.

Keep up the great work my friend!
    Wes

Very nice. The "hook" is still cycling in my head after one listen. That's the measure of a good pop song isn't it?

I especially liked the synchopated part somewhere around 2:40.

-JF

Brian,

BTW, I opened your music examples an let them stream for my wife to listen to....she really likes your work as well!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Very nice. The "hook" is still cycling in my head after one listen. That's the measure of a good pop song isn't it?

I especially liked the synchopated part somewhere around 2:40.

-JF
    <voice of Mr. Burns>BWAHAHAHAHAH....the subliminal spell is working then.</voice of Mr. Burns>

Kidding. Thanks Jon. Believe me...the hook is still cycling in my head despite the fact that I got it out...recorded it...and listened to it LOTS of times during the mix. Thanks Jon. I appreciate your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by wes
    BTW, I opened your music examples an let them stream for my wife to listen to....she really likes your work as well!
    Thanks Wes for your kind words and for your continued support and encouragement.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Great work, Brian! Be sure to let us know if and when it gets picked up, I'll be listening for it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Just got Road Runner installed --- Nice stuff, Brian!

Ern
    Ern,

Your picture now makes you look like Rutger Hauer in drag!

Go Back to forum