• Register
  • Help

Topic: Monitors question

Share/Bookmark

Monitors question

Right now my monitoring set up routes Soundcard outputs to a mixer then mixer outputs to monitors.

My questions are:
    Is there anything wrong with just plugging in the monitors directly to a soundcard? I am thinking of getting rid of my mixer. If I were to do this - would it be as simple as plugging in Left monitor to soundcard output 1, and Right monitor to soundcard output 2?

Thank you.

Re: Monitors question

If you do this you lose the ability to control the volume in the control room.

I have a RME HDSP 9652 feeding a Berringer Ultragain8 via ADAT. This gives me 8 inputs and 8 outputs. The onboard chip provides a software mixer
    feature independent of the computer. I can mix any combo of inputs to the outputs (along with the computer generated stuff).

Currently

INPUTS:
    Roland SC8850 Left
    Roland SC8850 Right
    MOBO sound Left
    MOBO sound Right

OUTPUTS
    LEFT Monitor
    RIGHT Monitor

works fine except from some obnoxious noises during initialization.

Thanks for the help! I completely forgot about the control room advantage - guess I should keep my mixer for now as that is quite handy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panzerD
    Thanks for the help! I completely forgot about the control room advantage - guess I should keep my mixer for now as that is quite handy.

Thanks
    I ended up getting one of these; http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1650&brandID=2

It gives me the ability to reference between up to 3 sets of monitors, a seperate headphone out, mono, dim, talk to cue and a volume knob I can reach out and touch instead of trying to mouse click the volume slider.

If you wanted to free up some space by losing the mixing desk, this might be the answer.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Scott that is excellent. I was actually wondering if such a product existed. I was hoping to go all digital (in the computer) so my only need of a mixer would have been for the monitors really. The mixer is huge and there's way too many wires I'd like to get rid of. Thanks for that suggestion!

I am assuming you are happy with the samson ccontrol?

Hi, yes very happy, no complaints.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum