• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture Has Changed Everything

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Overture Has Changed Everything

Since going through Joseph's excellent tutorials and some experimentation on my own, I am fairly convinced that Overture should be my primary Orchestral sequencer instead of Cubase SX. There are several reasons for this including how dynamics, fermatas and other types of expression are handled. Overture is far, far more friendlier for classical music than either Cubase or Sibelius (which I also own.).

As I look over my setup today, I think I will use Sibelius primarily for choral work, Overture for orchestral/band/etc. work and Cubase for pop type of work. (When I mean work, I mean piece of work, not literal work. I am a hobbyist and do not do this for a living. My posted pieces will testify to that!)

I might consider using Sibelius just to get notes input, then export to MIDI and import to Overture for fine tuning as I really like how Sibelius handles entering notes.

So, my question is, does this make sense? I know it is almost ridiculous having 3 programs like this, however I've picked them up over time and for various needs. I might as well use them all.

Are there any gotchas between Overture and other programs? Bad MIDI import/export? Anything at all, or do they all play nicely together? Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Overture Has Changed Everything

Kevin,

As far as the midi import and export goes, it works as well as anything else. The only problem is that on export, some of the controllers are lost. This is only a problem if they reside in the score window and not the graphic window. If you will be recording directly from Overture then this isn't an issue and this could have been fixed in an update already as I haven't tried to do this in a while. I check into it tonight and give you a definitive response. As far as using multiple programs, well, I don't think anyone has just one 'go to' program. I use Overture for pretty much everything now, but only since I've been able to get Bidule up and running since the graphic window serves the role of a sequencer to me. Everyone has their own way of working and I'd say, if it works for you, go for it. If you got em, use em. As far as entering notes into Overture, I don't know why it'd be any different than Sibelius, but I'm curious now. Could you send me a PM with some details on what you are talking about and maybe I can help (I'm still no expert at Overture, but I've had my hands in it quite a bit here lately.) Do whatever works best for you. I've got so many programs that do little things differently that I just can't live without, so I'm in a similar boat.

Smile Re: Overture Has Changed Everything

Hey Joseph,
    Thanks for the information. When I have put my first GPO piece together I will try some exporting to Cubase SX and see how it goes. I hope very well, as I would like to be able to use SX for some effects, adding some other parts, etc.

The reason I prefer Sibelius to Overture for entering notes is because of the Sibelius flexibility. Depending on my mood, I might use the keypad, other times I use my keyboard in conjunction with the keypad. The keypad is a huge plus to me, as I can get to anything very quickly using it. For instance, accidentals like a fermata is only an F11 away from the default keypad (F8). Does that make sense?

Maybe this will help clarify - in Overture, I can get note duration from the keypad, which is good, but I can't type in the note (A,B,C, etc.) in from the keyboard. I have to point and click. With Sibelius I can do everything from the keyboard, only going to the mouse in some cases. Don't get me wrong, I still like Overture a great, great deal. Some of this comes from me being used to Sibelius. If the Overture SE program got the same features, it would be heaven.

-Kevin
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin, I talked with Don last night and it seems I was mistaken about the controllers. The mod wheel data is kept and so are the other controllers. Sustain data was an issue, but this has been resolved in the last few updates.

Thanks for the update, Joseph. I went up to the GenieSoft website to see if they had a users forum as I don't want to overwhelm anyone here with questions. I did not find one and a Google search did not help. Do you know of any? Also, I saw that Overture 3.6 is a new update. Maybe that should be published on this site so users can update?

-Kevin

I've posted some links before. I recommend everyone check the site at least once a week. Don is pretty good about updates to his software. If you find a problem he fixes it in like hours instead of months. Within the last month there's been 2 or 3 updates that addressed minor problems. If you've got questions (non-bug related), post em here or contact me privately and I can help. If its beyond me, we can take it to them at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    . I went up to the GenieSoft website to see if they had a users forum as I don't want to overwhelm anyone here with questions. I did not find one and a Google search did not help. Do you know of any? Also, I saw that Overture 3.6 is a new update. Maybe that should be published on this site so users can update?
    -Kevin
    Kevin,
    There is a Yahoo group of Overture users. You can link to it via garritan.com.
    Just look for the Ove logo in the software area.
    The group isn't very active right now, but will become so as the user base grows.
    As a 15-year user of Finale, I am so impressed with Overture as it is now, and ver. 4 promises even more.

I have NEVER seen a programmer respond faster than Don Williams to a bug report or feature request. The record is a half-hour between report and fix.

In case JB gets overwhelmed, I can also solve Ove problems.
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    The reason I prefer Sibelius to Overture for entering notes is because of the Sibelius flexibility. Depending on my mood, I might use the keypad, other times I use my keyboard in conjunction with the keypad. The keypad is a huge plus to me, as I can get to anything very quickly using it. For instance, accidentals like a fermata is only an F11 away from the default keypad (F8). Does that make sense?

Maybe this will help clarify - in Overture, I can get note duration from the keypad, which is good, but I can't type in the note (A,B,C, etc.) in from the keyboard. I have to point and click. With Sibelius I can do everything from the keyboard, only going to the mouse in some cases. Don't get me wrong, I still like Overture a great, great deal. Some of this comes from me being used to Sibelius. If the Overture SE program got the same features, it would be heaven.
    -Kevin
    Kevin, In heaven there is no beer, so drink some before you soon depart for Notational Nirvana...what you seek is in Overture's step-entry window.
    Ctrl-Shift-E or pick it off the "window" menu up top. One hand for the duration, the other for the note name, o or O to change octaves. Works great. Step entry can also be done from the keyboard in that window.
    Check out further details in the help under step entry.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thumbs up Re: Overture Has Changed Everything

That is great news, Jim. Well I'll be...its in step-entry, huh? You know, it is the only place I did not look, go figure. I figured step-entry was just that, this is much more. I will check it out tonight.

Overture has impressed the heck out of me, that is for sure. It is also good to hear about the great support Don gives, that makes all the difference. The way I see it, if the package continues to wow me I'll need to purchase the full version if for no other reason than to support Don.

I was going to register Overture SE, but I could not find a serial number to do so. Am I missing something?

Thanks again for all of the information!

-Kevin

Thumbs up Re: Overture Has Changed Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I've posted some links before. I recommend everyone check the site at least once a week. Don is pretty good about updates to his software. If you find a problem he fixes it in like hours instead of months. Within the last month there's been 2 or 3 updates that addressed minor problems. If you've got questions (non-bug related), post em here or contact me privately and I can help. If its beyond me, we can take it to them at that point.

Thanks, Joseph! I do have one or two technique comments/questions, but I'll post them in the techniques forum. This way the information can be seen by others under a topic heading that might interest them.

-Kevin

Go Back to forum