• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help finding cheap recording/editing software

Share/Bookmark

Need help finding cheap recording/editing software

I am running Gigastudio 96 v. 2.5 XP with an audiophile 2496 soundcard. All I need to do is to edit my piano/harpsichord music (add reverb/effects/etc.) and to edit other music (Sting, Beatles, fade in and fade out) Would SoundForge XP be a good choice? Does anyone know if this program gets along with windows XP? Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Need help finding cheap recording/editing software

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEMPS:
    Would SoundForge XP be a good choice? Does anyone know if this program gets along with windows XP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have Soundforge XP working under XP Pro without problems. This version of Soundforge does not handle 24-bit files or DX-plugins, but is a nice all-around audio editor.
    Another good choice with does work with 24-bit/plugins is Cool Edit 2000.

[This message has been edited by Erik Nygaard (edited 04-02-2002).]

Erik,

Thanks for the message. I have been recording eveything in 16 bit (so anyone can play it back in Windows Media Player) so that is not an issue. I was wondering what a DX-Plugin is? I have been using acoustic instruments for most of my life and have just recently entered the realm of sampled instruments. Thanks for your help.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEMPS:
    Erik,
    I was wondering what a DX-Plugin is? I have been using acoustic instruments for most of my life and have just recently entered the realm of sampled instruments
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a primarily accoustic player as well.
    DX-plugins and DX-instruments are Microsoft\'s version of Steinberg\'s VS (Virtual Studio). These come in the form of effects (reverbs,compressors,EQs,mastering etc) and instruments (synths,samplers,el-pianos,organs etc) that you can use within your sequencer. There are a lot of free plugins on the internet and also many commercial very good ones like Waves (great effects) and Native B4 (great Hammond B3).
    You can manipulate audio files directly or use them in real time in your sequencer. HS 2002 has a good explanation of how to set them up in the help file.
    Many of these plugins are pretty cpu intensive so your mileage may vary.
    For my mainly accoustic work these have become indispensable. I use a tube pre-amp and a hardware compressor while recording, but all other processing is done inside the PC. Think of them as the PC equivalent of hardware boxes.
    A good starting point is www.thepluginlist.com/

Hey Erik - Your info is helpful - thanks. I\'m a new GigaStudio user (classical and jazz composer - just using a midi controller and my PC) who is very happy with the GS sound quality and pretty much saying goodbye to synth sounds forever now.

But I never have looked into or used VST and DX instruments. Should I even bother? The GS instruments sound so great - but of course many of the sample libraries are EXPENSIVE and so I dont have much yet.

My Terratec EWX2496 has ASIO drivers and my sequencer (PowerTracks) supports DX but not VST instruments at this point. Given all this would I be able to:

1) Download DX TRADITIONAL ACOUSTIC instrument sounds that really have the same kind of amazing sound quality that I get with GigaStudio ? (Does one\'s sequencer software HAVE to \"support\" VST instruments - you cant use them if your sequencer software company doesnt list them as supported?)

2) Its been such a project to get GigaStudio running smoothly on my Win98se PC at last. Does one risk screwing up the smooth functioning of GigaStudio by adding DX or VST instruments on ones computer?

THANKS for any further comments, LifeForce

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lifeforce:
    But I never have looked into or used VST and DX instruments. Should I even bother?
    My Terratec EWX2496 has ASIO drivers and my sequencer (PowerTracks) supports DX but not VST instruments at this point. Given all this would I be able to:

1) Download DX TRADITIONAL ACOUSTIC instrument sounds that really have the same kind of amazing sound quality that I get with GigaStudio ? (Does one\'s sequencer software HAVE to \"support\" VST instruments - you cant use them if your sequencer software company doesnt list them as supported?)

2) Its been such a project to get GigaStudio running smoothly on my Win98se PC at last. Does one risk screwing up the smooth functioning of GigaStudio by adding DX or VST instruments on ones computer?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are several DX/VST-\"wrappers\" that fools your applications into thinking the VST-instrument really is a DX-instrument. I think one is called DirectiXer, made by
    Kirill Katsnelson http://www.pobox.com/~kkm/
    kkm@pobox.com

There is also a very useful DX-remover/info-tool available called DXman from http://www.analogx.com/

1) Do not bother with traditional purely accoustic instruments like piano,guitar etc.
    But electrical instruments like organs,el-pianos,synths etc may be worth it. Personally I scrapped all my el-organ gigs after I tried Native Instruments excellent B4. Also Emagic does a VST-plugin called EFP-73 (I think) wich should do a decent Rhodes.
    There are also DXI/VST versions of Waldorfs, Minimoogs, Prophet 52 etc.

2) I have had no problems running DX-instruments and Gigastudio on the same PC (1.7GHZ/256MB, separate gig-harddisk). I tend to record one instrument at a time and usually make a stereo pre-mix of earlier tracks to serve as a backing for new recording. That way I do not put too much strain on the cpu, some plugins are notoriously processor-hungry.This naturally depends on your cpu/ram/harddisk(s).

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Erik Nygaard (edited 04-09-2002).]

Go Back to forum