Horn Concerto #1, Movement I

The composer did not bump this posting.

Here is the first movement of my horn concerto, numero uno:

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...enchHorn1A.mp3

Regards,

Larry A.

Re: Horn Concerto #1, Movement I

Larry,

Two things. There are many lines in there that are not idiomatic for the horn. I find it helpful when I'm writing something like this to consult with someone who plays the instrument well. They can really help you get a feel for what is playable/not playable and what is playable but awkward.

Second. That work has alot of "face time" for the horn. It pretty much plays through the whole movement. If there are other movements to follow, the player's lip is probably not going to make it the whole way. Especially if you have alot of high notes. You might consider giving them space to rest periodically.

Please keep in mind, I'm saying these things so that you will have a satisfying live performance of the work - not to knock what you're doing.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

i liked it, its all i can say cuz i'm not really a music expert, just a music lover

Quote Originally Posted by CString
    Larry,

Two things. There are many lines in there that are not idiomatic for the horn. I find it helpful when I'm writing something like this to consult with someone who plays the instrument well.

(SNIP)

Please keep in mind, I'm saying these things so that you will have a satisfying live performance of the work - not to knock what you're doing.

-Chad
    Thank you for your comments.

I realize the difficulty of this composition. It was not intended for a live performance. Maybe the great horn player, Dennis Brain, could have played it but probably not the average hornist.

A friend of mine, who is a very competent hornist, played the lead line in all three movements without too many problems although he did consistently "splatter" some of the high notes and the rapid, chromatic lines were all but impossible to play because of the fact that the horn doesn't "speak" as quickly as most other brass instruments, as you well know.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by the emperor
    i liked it, its all i can say cuz i'm not really a music expert, just a music lover
    To me, your opinion and comments are just as important as anyone else's.

Thank you.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Thank you for your comments.

I realize the difficulty of this composition. It was not intended for a live performance. Maybe the great horn player, Dennis Brain, could have played it but probably not the average hornist.

A friend of mine, who is a very competent hornist, played the lead line in all three movements without too many problems although he did consistently "splatter" some of the high notes and the rapid, chromatic lines were all but impossible to play because of the fact that the horn doesn't "speak" as quickly as most other brass instruments, as you well know.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry. I have to apologize. My mind is always on live performance. Sometimes I forget that other people's might not be. And, I was also considering the "average" horn player. Which, unfortunately, seems to be what I always get stuck with.

Quote Originally Posted by CString
    Larry. I have to apologize. My mind is always on live performance. Sometimes I forget that other people's might not be. And, I was also considering the "average" horn player. Which, unfortunately, seems to be what I always get stuck with.
    Certainly no need to apologize for anything. I appreciate the fact that you listened and commented.

It seems as though that in my high school and college bands and orchestras, the weakest sections were always the horns. Because of that very small mouthpiece, it's a very difficult instrument to master...don't you agree?

Best regards,

Larry A.

Having been a low brass player, I can agree with your mouthpiece comment. *Way* too small!

I enjoyed the piece, it was a fun ride! I can't put my finger on influences, though I did feel an Alps horn type influence here and there. Maybe the accompianment contributed to this.

Again, it was a fun piece to listen to. Thanks for sharing.

-Kevin

P.S. I'd *love* to see the look (and sweat) on a French Horn player after he/she was done playing this.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Because of that very small mouthpiece, it's a very difficult instrument to master...don't you agree?
    Absolutely. Intonation is usually a mess, too.

[QUOTE=LFO]Having been a low brass player, I can agree with your mouthpiece comment. *Way* too small!

I enjoyed the piece, it was a fun ride! I can't put my finger on influences, though I did feel an Alps horn type influence here and there. Maybe the accompianment contributed to this.

Again, it was a fun piece to listen to. Thanks for sharing.

-Kevin

Thank you, Kevin, for your comments.

In high school, I played baritone (euphonium) for a long time before switching to trumpet. You can imagine what a traumatic experience that was for my embouchere! (It has been a long time since I used the word "embouchere" in a written sentence. I hope that I spelled it correctly.)

Regards,

Larry A.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast