Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

Share/Bookmark

Arrow GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

While GiaStudio 3 is shipping we have the
    PMI GOLD BUNDLE GS3 INTRODUCTION DEAL

The GOLD Bundle includes 2 amazing new grand piano libraries:
    The OLD LADY and The EMPEROR
    The Emperor and Old Lady libraries in GS3 offer both sampled and modelled methods to get the most amazing piano libraries.
    FEATURES
    -- All ‘pedal down’ and ‘release/staccato resonance’ elements are created with convolution impulse models (i.e. more than half of the traditional digital samples can be left unused!) and with traditional sample based recordings. Overall responsiveness is greatly improved. The traditional limitations of sample based pedal dynamics, continuously varying note release have been transcended, with far greater dynamic accuracy, playability and sonic detail.
    -- The libraries use all 24bit samples with TASCAM DXL disk acceleration, and 32bit impulse responses, a 16bit version can be extracted by the user in the editor.
    -- Includes Both Stereo and Five channel surround versions (via convolution)
    -- Multiple mic placement and room/venue selections via precise GigaPulse impulse models
    -- Twelve recorded velocity levels (digital samples) for pedal up and 12 levels for pedal down and nearly infinite, continuously variable resonance based on dynamic playing
    -- Sustain pedal triggered samples, via iMIDI damper up (pedal down), damper down (pedal up) Hammer on (pp), Hammer off recoil (via release trigger)
    -- The DVD has installers for both GigaStudio 2 and GigaStudio 3 versions, so you can start working in GS2 now and when you upgrade to GS3 you can install the GS3 version.

ABOUT: The EMPEROR and The OLD LADY

Produced by: Michiel Post for Post Musical Instruments BV
    EMPEROR
    The owner achieved to install a very high-tech mechanism in the piano designed by Wayne Stahnke that operates the piano keys and pedals with more than 1.000 steps accuracy and is controlled by a computer system. This allowed me to capture each velocity layer of this perfect instrument with unequalled precision. By utilizing this new technology to optimize the performance of the action, we have created a product which leaves the pianist in total control of dynamic response, timbre and touch. This library provides the greatest possible control during the softest pianissimo, through crescendos to the reserves of power needed for the loudest fortissimo.

Old Lady
    In the PMI Old Lady history and future meet each other and the result is stunning! In 1876 Theodore Steinway achieved to present the world with the first concert grand piano that had a duplex scale, bent rim case, cupola iron frame and a special action to lift enlarged hammers. When he died in 1889 he left behind a piano design that could hardly be improved upon. The Steinway D is called THE grand piano by both musicians and composers. The 1920´s models are considered to be absolutely superior to any piano produced after that date. I discovered this Old Lady in a lovely little village in Kent (UK). The owner of this unique musical instrument has a collection of some 20 grand pianos in several sizes but chooses The Old Lady to stand in his living room.
    The owner instaledl the same very Wayne Stahnke mechanism in this piano that operates the piano keys and pedals with more than 1.000 steps accuracy and is controlled by a computer system.

Wayne Stahnke

Mathematician, scientist and inventor Wayne Stahnke became fascinated with the idea of designing his own reproducing piano when he visited Disneyland at the age of thirteen. “They had a player piano—and it was playing all those notes, with perfect accuracy, and amazing rapidity,” he said. “And something clicked in my brain.” It was to be an enduring fascination. After earning a degree in electrical engineering from U.C. Berkeley, and enjoying a successful career as an aerospace designer, Stahnke returned to his dream of designing and building a reproducing piano. “I wanted to build one that would record and play in a way that would satisfy the finest musicians,” he said. His technology took more than a decade to evolve into reproducing concert grand pianos.

For audio demos and free playable instrument demos please visit The Gold Bundle demo page

ABOUT GIGASTUDIO 3
    A new generation of sampling software

GigaStudio 3 adds a list of new features designed to produce the most authentic acoustic simulations ever created.
    ´ GigaPulse: This processor models the resonance of the recorded instruments body for the most realistic sampled instruments ever. The body resonance IR patches are encoded in this library gig files for convenient loading. The separate fx-banks are also available for more flexibility.
    ` More dimensions: GS3 offers far more dimensions than the previous version. This allows us to program a piano in as many as 64 velocity layers!

` Midi rules enable us to trigger extra samples upon the activation of the sustain pedal. When you press the sustain pedal you will the sound of the dampers being released just as with a real piano. And when you release the pedal you will hear the dampers going back to their rest position.

´ Unlimited Polyphony: whatever your system can deliver. This is very important for sampled piano, where keeping the sustain pedal down for a prolonged period will cause the polyphony to rise spectacularly! GS3 now delivers more voices from your CPU than any other application.

´ VST Plug-In support: You can use your favourite VST-effect plug-ins directly from within GigaStudio using the channel inserts in the mixer. Add special effects, limiting, eq etc,

´ 24-bit sample support: a new dimension of detail, without affecting disk performance. GS3 can use new disk acceleration to avoid polyphony problems when using 24 bit audio quality.
    ´ 96kHz sample support: 24-bit/96kHz for stunning realism. Currently this library is 24-bit/48kHz but higher frequency rates will become available when PC hardware has become more comfortable with the extra power needed to perform the calculations involved in super high resolution audio.

´ Quick Edit: You can edit most parameters without opening the instrument editor. Convenient for setting a filter or adjusting the general release times of a sample.
    ´ Surround placement: using a native version of GigaPulse with extra channels for surround to place your sampled grand piano in any position in a virtual space. The GigaPulse content (IR-based banks) will become more and more available. This library includes GigaPulse banks of the original recording space.

GigaPulse
    This processor is a giant step forwards for the sampled piano. Convolution technology is used to apply all kind of changes to an instrument sound based upon an impulse response. An impulse response can be anything: the recorded room response or the sound board resonance of a piano.

The first option gives you the possibility to post-process the piano sound as if it were recorded with 7 microphones from as many as 28 positions.

This is ideal for piano in a surround mixing setting. You don’t have to load several pre-recorded microphone position versions of the same sample but you can freely adjust the exact position of each microphone during mix down. This gives you more freedom over microphone positions since you typically don’t use player, close and ambient recording positions in a surround mix but would rather have close, front, rear and rear-facing microphone pairs for such a task. And the nice thing about GigaPulse is that it uses very little CPU overhead. Especially if you compare it to the overhead of loading all these extra pre-recorded sample variations and playing them back for your final mix.

The second use of convolution is to realistically improve the behaviour of the sustain pedal. In traditional sample libraries you use the sustain pedal as a simple ON-OFF switch to select which sample to play (the sustain pedal up sample or the sustain pedal down sample) and you have to operate the sustain pedal BEFORE you play a note. This is a big problem for a real pianist who is used to operate the sustain pedal any time while he is playing and immediately get the body resonance. This is essentially what GigaPulse does. You play a note or chord and hold the keys down. You then press the sustain pedal and the impulse based resonance of the piano comes in. When you release the pedal the resonance fades away- just as in real life! And this is another resource saver: you don’t have to load two version of each note (the sustain pedal up and the sustain pedal down version) to get the result you want. You can load half as many samples and still get more realistic results than with the traditional system.

But GigaPulse is not limited to these tasks. You can also use GigaPulse to actually change the microphones that were used for the recording!

THE PRESETS:

You can change the bit depth of the wavepool with just one mouse-click. You would typically do this to conserve polyphony and cpu load. So when your system is not up to the recommended system level of 2.8Ghz for this piano you may convert the entire wave pool in the Giga3 editor to 16bit using HD1 dither. You can then use the resulting 16 bit file during tracking and use the 24 bit file when mixing down. Or you can use a 16 bit version for live performance and keep the 24 bit file for recording. You can choose from several bit depth reduction values, each having merits.
    Q: Minimal System?
    A: P3 or higher, 1.8 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, WinXP SP1, GigaStudio 3 and 5 GB free disk space for each piano.
    Q: How about the ultimate GS3 system? What if I want to get crazy polyphony and multiple GigaPulse instances?
    A: The limiting factor for polyphony is hard drive speed, so you'll get the best performance with a RAID array for your drives. The following system was tested with over 600 voices of polyphony
    * Windows XP SP1 * P4 3.2 GHz * 2GB RAM
    * Two-drive RAID using 10,000 RPM SATA drives & GSIF 2-compatible sound card or ReWire-compatible host application
    Q: Is it easy to use or do I have to study a manual before I can start playing these pianos?
    A: You don’t have to be a computer wizard to start playing. The GOLD BUNDLE pianos were designed for ease of use. The encoded GigaPulse content enables fast and convenient loading of all required items. You don’t have to set up complicated processors or plug-in effects to start playing. In fact all it takes is just one mouse click.
    Q: Can I use this new bundle on my old PC?
    A: Why not? You may find out that your system delivers less polyphony but several options enable you to compensate this. First you can use the 16 bits TASCAM DXL accelerated voices, that can be encoded in the editor. This will drastically improve polyphony on your less-than-fastest PC. Another option is to disable GigaPulse and use the sample based variations only. They result in the same features but need less CPU power. Last you can load special “Light Versions”, variations that use less velocity layers so that you can load them on any machine.

BTW: The GOLD BUNDLE GS3 DVD's are shipping now!

To get your copy: www.postpiano.com
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Question Re: GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

Is Wayne Stahnke the person who scanned Rachmaninoff piano rolls sometime ago? I had 2 cd's but, I can't seem to find them.

Wouldn't it be great if you could include these MIDI files with your bundle!!!!

Re: GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Michiel,

It's incredible that you're shipping this already. Congratulations. Too bad you're not running Tascam's GS operation.
    I´ll keep that in mind when I talk to TASCAM!

Is there any chance of having an option for an address form that's US address friendly? TIA
    Lee Blaske
    I have spend several conversations with the webdesigner about this. I would make sense to leave the address line in a open format, without the seperate address number field, wouldn´t it? Well, it has something to do with their php database; they generate the shipping labels with it. I cannot use these since all US and UK addresses become useless, so...

If you fill in the address like you are used to we adjust it during the handling of the order. Some customers write the address as it should appear in the extra remarks field of the order form just to make sure. In 3 years total we never lost a shipment.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Michiel,

It's incredible that you're shipping this already. Congratulations. Too bad you're not running Tascam's GS operation.

I do have a question, though, about your online ordering site. I tried to order something during your last promotion and couldn't figure it out, so I gave up. The address section must be configured for the way things are done in Europe, and not the US. You have two "address without the number" lines, and then a "number" line. In the US, the number and the street address need to go on the same line, or the delivery people will get very confused and the package won't reach its destination. When I previously tried to place an order on your site and configure the address in a manner that US delivery people would understand, it told me I had made an error, and wouldn't let me proceed.

Is there any chance of having an option for an address form that's US address friendly? TIA

Lee Blaske
    Yes, I have the same problem here in Australia Michiel.
    Also, how long is this special price ($245) going to last?

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by ngstime
    Is Wayne Stahnke the person who scanned Rachmaninoff piano rolls sometime ago? I had 2 cd's but, I can't seem to find them.

Wouldn't it be great if you could include these MIDI files with your bundle!!!!
    He did. I doubt that we could distribute these. IP no doubt. Let´s ask him.
    I would certainly be most interesting to hear those early recordings performed on today´s pianos...

There are a few other piano roll midi sites, one that has the Flight of the Bumble Bee performed by Rachmaninov.
    Check http://frontpage.uk.digiserve.com/mu...ll%20midis.htm
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I hope GS3 will be soon available in France. These pianos joined to this technology : it seems really interesting. And the gain in realism must be impressive. Great job!

Angry Re: GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

ARGH! I just ordered the GOLD GS3 bundle direct from you last week after making several inquiries that went unanswered about the pricing (esp when I bought the rest of your GIGA bundles).

Drop $650 on Post Libraries and they won't even answer my emails.

I'm bummed.

I'm curious about this IR modelling. I think that for the upper notes, part of the resonance may be due not to sound waves, but to hammer strike shock being transmitted through the harp. That's what happens on my little Wurlitzer electric piano, and I have to wonder whether an acoustic piano also does this to an extent. Does IR modelling really produce the same intensity and type of resonance/ambience for the upper notes on a piano?

But yes, it does appear to be very impressive from the descriptions I've seen - looks promising!

Greg.

Smile Re: GOLD BUNDLE GS3 Special Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    He did. I doubt that we could distribute these. IP no doubt. Let´s ask him.
    I would certainly be most interesting to hear those early recordings performed on today´s pianos...

There are a few other piano roll midi sites, one that has the Flight of the Bumble Bee performed by Rachmaninov.
    Check http://frontpage.uk.digiserve.com/mu...ll%20midis.htm

WOW! that makes my night! thankyou!
    here's a link for the whole collection
    http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/library.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon
    ARGH! I just ordered the GOLD GS3 bundle direct from you last week after making several inquiries that went unanswered about the pricing (esp when I bought the rest of your GIGA bundles).

I'm bummed.
    Ron, I am afraid thats it how it goes sometimes. It appears I also ordered the Gold bundle a week too early ($300). However, I am sure these libraries will be worth the price I paid for them.

P.S. Michiel was out on vacation for a number of weeks, returning last week.

Go Back to forum